Aggressive GBR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
In my planted 55g community tank I have a GBR that has always been a model citizen. But yesterday I bought a school of praecox rainbows and my GBR has made it his personal mission to harass the rainbows. Does anyone have some tips on what I can do to solve this?

Sounds like he's got a "this tank is mine syndrome". It's unusual for a single ram to claim an entire tank but you can try treating him like an angelfish doing this. Remove him from the tank, rearrange, then add him back. This often, but not always, tricks the fish into thinking it's in a new tank where it has no territory which often stops the aggression.

Sounds like he's got a "this tank is mine syndrome". It's unusual for a single ram to claim an entire tank but you can try treating him like an angelfish doing this. Remove him from the tank, rearrange, then add him back. This often, but not always, tricks the fish into thinking it's in a new tank where it has no territory which often stops the aggression.

I was worried you were going to say that. I was just to the point of being happy with 2/3 of my scape too :(

Oh well I guess now is as good a time as any to add the driftwood that I've been soaking.

Sadly, it didn't work at all. I guess I have to return him... Maybe I can trade him in for 1 or 2 more rainbows. Or even a gourami, which is a fish that I've never owned.

Back
Top Bottom