Aggressive golden groumai

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suprdave

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Unfortunately before I purchased the fish at PetCo I was never told that the golden groumais are aggressive. He is leaving all of the other fish alone except for the blue groumai that is in the tank. One minute they will be fine, then the next he'll chase the other groumai around for about 15 seconds nipping at its fins.

No damage is ever actually done that I can tell, but its irritating to have this happen. I told the manager and he said I could bring it back and swap one of them out if I wanted to. I really enjoy the golden's colors (plus his general attitude towards me, every time I open the top of the tank he immediately swims up to the top to see what's going on). Is there another kind of groumai I can replace the blue one with that the golden groumai would get along with? Another golden one perhaps?

Sadly, no. Those types will only get along with their kin, or the fish they were in the tank with at the store. That whole genus of fish is aggressive. You blue is better off alone.

Gouramis (dwarf or otherwise) while peaceful to most other fish can be very territorial to other gouramis. Your best bet is to stick with one.

Thanks! I went ahead and returned the blue and got two female silver molly's to replace him. No problems so far.

Back
Top Bottom