aggressive guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patryuji

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I noticed other topics mentioning aggressive guppies...I have a female guppy who is very belligerent to the other female and chases the male guppy as much as the male chases her. She never bothers my corys.

I just added a red-tail shark (only about 2 inches long) and she is acting aggressive towards it right now as well. I introduced it with the lights off but in the dim light of my TV I could see her attacking the sharks tail whenever it would leave the comfort of its hiding area. Will this cause the shark to be stressed and have a tougher time of adapting to its new home or will it quickly become aggressive in response to this treatment?

The tank is a 29G so I would have thought there would be enough room for the guppies to "play nice" but it isn't so. The tank is lightly planted (and I am trying to get more plants as the current vegetation was from my 10G tank).

Does anyone know what could be causing guppies to become temperamental? Is it because she just delivered some fry?

When we used to keep quite a few guppies we noticed that after spawning the female would become very defensive and try to chase away the males and even other fish that came near her. They sometimes took up positions in a small cave and attacked any fish that came near. I’m thinking that perhaps your shark has taken her usual hiding position of resting after spawning. You know girls can be very temperamental. :)
Try placing more plants and hiding places, it could help.

Back
Top Bottom