aggressive mollies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rebekahbirch

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi there,
just wanted to get some people's experiene with dalmation / black / orange mollies. (most likely dalmation-they're the ones i like best :D)

1. Are they aggressive? :confused:

2. They'd be with (eventually) neon tetras, guppies, dwarf gouramis, zebra nerite snails, otocinclus's. i'd probably get 2 / 3 mollies- would they bully or do any harm to these fish?
Becky...XxX

Maybe just my experience but my black Molly used to bully all my fish except my gourami, cories and pleco.

I love mollies, but it is definitely possible for them to bully other fish that are the same size or smaller. I've had similar experiences as Amicus with mollies, but I still like keeping them.

Yeah, my lfs took mine but they are really cool looking fish. I visit him and he's doing fine. I mainly got rid of him because he was really tormenting my phantom cats.

I have a molly that chases my platy around after I feed them, and if I change anything on the tank (move anything in the tank, change the lighting, or if anything hits the tank and startles them.) But, he doesn't do anything to my dwarf gourami.

I have had mollies with corydoras and guppies, the worst they did was try and eat the corys sinking food. They didnt both the guppies at all.

I had a dalmatian molly that was quite the bully. She would nip at my betta, chase my platys, and generally get aggressive with the other fish around her when feeding.

Only ones she didn't bother was the Dwarf Gourami and cory cats. Didn't really care for the danios either because they were so fast.

I've had probs with male mollies nipping other male mollies and gourmis.

I have 1 male Dalmatian Molly and 3 female Gold Dust Mollies. I haven't witnessed any heavy aggression from any of them. They're pretty relaxed w/ the exception of when my females are pregnant. Then they do get a little "nippy" but not to the point where they're inflicting pain or stressing out any of the other fish.

Mollies are pretty variable in temperament and it's anyone's guess on how they will react in a new environment. They're great fish, but you never know. Many of them are a little aggressive, but not too rough. They just like to let everyone know where they stand.

We had to take ours back to the fish shop :( she was getting really vicious :( she was ok until she had fry, then she started attacking anything she could reach, especially the corys, and especially when there was food around. Such a shame because they are such pretty fish.

I had a Dalmation Molly that was very peaceful. I once sususpected him for going after my neon tetras, but soon discovered that it was my red eye tetras. I think that he would do well eith the fish that you have listed.

It really varies with mollies. If you give them enough 'stimulation' with their own species (1 male to 2 females) I've found that everything stays at a Lull. I have known more than a few aggressive Mollies, though.

Back
Top Bottom