Aggressive Rainbow Fish..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linsay

Aquarium Advice Regular
We just added some new fish to our tank and the male (i'm assuming) is a bit aggressive. He has staked half the tank out as his own and chases all the other fish away! Should I take him back to the lfs or should he calm down once he is used to the tank?

Linsay...some rainbowfish will calm down....others will not. I had to take an australian rainbowfish back to the lfs because he was too agressive for too long. In addition to Menageri's questions...do you know what type of rainbow it is?

I used to have the same problem with my Australian Rainbows. The male was sorta territorial once I put him in, but after a while he calmed down...once he learned that my other fish wouldn't put up with his crap 8) They chased right back!

We have a 20 gallon. Moderately planted.
1 dwarf frog
1 gold snail
5 roberti tetras
2 upside down catfish
2 turquoise rainbows (new)
2 boesemi rainbows (trouble makers)

I am guessing that I have a male and female boesemi and the one is pretty colorful which makes me assume it is pretty full grown.

I do realize we have a lot of fish for a 20 gallon but the tetras and the catfish hide all day long so we were hoping to get something that we could enjoy watching!!

Back
Top Bottom