Aggressive tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FreshwaterTropical

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Recently bought a blind cave tetra, yes it actually has no eyes and I did expect it to go crazy a little bit when other fish swim by it. But today my brown ghost knife swam by and I am pretty sure the end of it's tail was bitten off. Is that even possible, what should I do?

What size tank? If there's problems I would remove the tetra, is it in a school?

I would remove the tetra, it probably needs a school anyways. Try to bring it back to health and rehome it.

Also the brown ghost knife will out grow the 40 gallon, they will try to eat smaller fish. So that's probably what happened

I had not heard of this fish, so I googled it and found 3 articles that all state it is a particularly aggressive tetra known for fin nippage. (Yup I said it) apparently they are ok in a tank w/semi-aggressive species, can be kept as a single specimen but is better with 3-6 in a school. They also suggest dim lighting, hiding places like caves, and they apparently like to jump when stressed! I would think it was entirely possible it nipped the end of a tail off. Good luck with your dilema, it looks like a really cool fish.

Well I think the tetra did nip the tail off. I think it got a good piece of the brown knife fish to, will this fin piece missing will the knife fish be all right?

I really don't know anything about knife fish, I know when my angels scrap or get fins ripped they grow back. BTW cool pics in your profile ablumn! Very interesting fish.

Back
Top Bottom