Aggressive threadfin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishinfreak

Aquarium Advice Freak
So about a week and a half ago, I finally got my first fish into my 6.6g long after the rescape. :dance::dance:. Right now, it is at 4 Dwarf Emerald Rasboras (this is getting boosted soon, had 5 and one randomly died about 6-7 days after I got it :() and a 1M 1F pair of threadfin rainbows. Everything has been going good for the most part; they have colored up very nicely, and after about 3 days were very out and about. The problem is now the male threadfin has established a territory in about 1/4 of the tank, and if the rasboras come out into the open around it he flares at them (which i must say looks really cool) and chases them off about 50% of the time. The territory is in the open, so they are safe anywhere in the plants on the side of the tank he occupies, and they seem fairly free on the other side. I'm wondering if he is just wanting to breed, as he also will come up to the female and pump his fins up and down at her. Should I be worried about the males actions towards the rasboras, or is it more likely a breeding thing that may wear off. Also, although the rasboras do stick to the plants when they see you outside the tank, they will dart in and out of his territory if you stay still long enough for them to feel comfortable.

It's very common for schooling fish to become aggressive or nippy if they are not kept in a school. You really need them in a group with at least 4 other threadfins. Also because of their high activity level they need at least a 20 gallon tank. Not being kept in a school and not having enough space to have his own territory will both contribute to aggression.

So about a week and a half ago, I finally got my first fish into my 6.6g long after the rescape. :dance::dance:. Right now, it is at 4 Dwarf Emerald Rasboras (this is getting boosted soon, had 5 and one randomly died about 6-7 days after I got it :() and a 1M 1F pair of threadfin rainbows. Everything has been going good for the most part; they have colored up very nicely, and after about 3 days were very out and about. The problem is now the male threadfin has established a territory in about 1/4 of the tank, and if the rasboras come out into the open around it he flares at them (which i must say looks really cool) and chases them off about 50% of the time. The territory is in the open, so they are safe anywhere in the plants on the side of the tank he occupies, and they seem fairly free on the other side. I'm wondering if he is just wanting to breed, as he also will come up to the female and pump his fins up and down at her. Should I be worried about the males actions towards the rasboras, or is it more likely a breeding thing that may wear off. Also, although the rasboras do stick to the plants when they see you outside the tank, they will dart in and out of his territory if you stay still long enough for them to feel comfortable.

Hmm it could be possible that hes acting this way to try and catch the females attention to breed. It may ware off in time, but Id try to increase the numbers of the threadfin population. If there are more threadfin males, the aggressive male will pay more attention to the other males to compete for the female. You will see the males readily flare at each other. Maybe if his attention is with the other threadfin males he'll leave the poor rasboras alone. Just my way of thinking though.

It's very common for schooling fish to become aggressive or nippy if they are not kept in a school. You really need them in a group with at least 4 other threadfins. Also because of their high activity level they need at least a 20 gallon tank. Not being kept in a school and not having enough space to have his own territory will both contribute to aggression.

You ninja-posted me! :ROFLMAO:

But +1, I definitely agree.

It's best to keep twice as many females as males when keeping rainbows. But I would not recommend getting any more until you can upgrade to a bigger tank because a 6 gallon is already way too small.

It's best to keep twice as many females as males when keeping rainbows. But I would not recommend getting any more until you can upgrade to a bigger tank because a 6 gallon is already way too small.

A 6G is small, but I feel as if there is more leniency because of the footprint of the tank. A 'long version' of a tank allows for more swimming space than a traditional 6 gallon. What is the length of the tank?

Dimensions are 24"x7.5"(about)x9"High , which is why I felt safe getting the rainbows in the fist place. I could see it start to crowd if another male was added, assuming he also would take a territory over. If you guys think I could get away with keeping the rainbow, and adding a female, I may try that.

Does anyone have further help with this? Its been getting a little better, but I'd still like to play it safe.

To get an idea of his current territory, you can look at the pics in my profile. It is about from where the driftwood starts to come off the ground in the center to the rock; and only in the open area, the rasboras seem to be free/safe in the back plants.

Back
Top Bottom