Agressive Danios & Restocking Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catfishkid

Aquarium Advice Activist
So my pair of zebra danios have been causing WAY too much trouble for me. Last week they (most likely) killed my favorite fish and this evening I found my younger julii corydora's fin completely torn!

image-2681366356.jpg
image-1395672293.jpg

So I quarantined the pair in a breeder box for tonight so I don't have any more injured fish by tomorrow.
image-1642725539.jpg
I don't think I can deal with these two much longer so I think I'll be looking into rehoming them. Advice on that?

And if iI succeed in rehoming them, any suggestions for new fish? (22gal freshwater with 1 molly, & 2 corydoras)

You could get guppies or a dwarf gourami they work great in my tank with cory and. Have some mystery snails tht are fun to watch

Ive read that having more danios (at least six) makes them less likely to chase other fish, as they prefer to school with their own kind. But can imagine you'd be hesitant to get more :)

I had this problem with glo fish (zebra danios genetically modified), I had a pink and a yellow, they were fighting everything in the tank, so I isolated them, and they were both fighting after this.

I recently bought 6x zebra danios (that I returned to the store for a specific reason) and they were schooling and not fighting. (I returned them because they were too much excited... I didn't want to put them with my killies and neons.)

But zebra danios are great fish, they are resistant to disease and water changes, they move schooled when they 6 or more, and they move very fast.

http://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-ZebraDanio.htm

I had just two zebra danios as well, and they chased and harassed each other endlessly until I got more of them. Now they are quite peaceful, don't bother the cories, loaches or shrimp at all. Didn't even bother the Snowballs shrimp I had in with them.

Try getting them a few friends. They need not be zebras.. they get on well with other danio species as well, like Leopards or the spotted Kyathits, which are very, very pretty.

Can they survive temps of 80f ?

Temperature : 65°F - 75°F (18°C - 24°C)

Maybe they can survive 80F° for few days... But don't think they'll be happy...

Minimum Tank Size: 10 gallons
Care Level: Easy
Temperament: Peaceful
Water Conditions: 64-75° F, KH 8-12, pH 6.5-7.0
Max. Size: 3"
Color Form: Blue, Purple, White, Yellow
Diet: Omnivore
Compatibility: View Chart
Origin: Farm Raised - USA
Family: Cyprinidae

I've been surprised by how long they can tolerate high temperatures, but it's not what they like and it will shorten their lives in the long term. When I first got back into keeping fish again, I didn't take into account just how hot my apartment is. Come summer, and being in a south window, the tanks got over 90 for a few days before I could get fans set up and running to cool them. Danios did not appear overly distressed. Nothing did, actually, but I had the water level down to leave spawning space for snails, so the filter return was helping keep the water agitated, and oxgen levels higher than they would have been.

I know one person who also has a hot apartment, and kept all her fish in hot water. I mean, it was like bathwater, over 90. Goldfish, who were always at the surface, which she said was normal for them, a Betta, and a tank with several Danios in it. The rest were puffer fish.

I took the Betta, she got into lizards and wanted to sell off the fish. She wanted me to take the Danios too but I hadn't the room, and I worried they were not going to adjust well to cool temps after having been kept so warm so long. She'd had them nearly a year, IIRC. So they might survive at 80 for awhile. But it's still not good for them.

Thanks for all the feedback! I was also wondering, will the catfish without a back fin have any health problems in the future? Or will it grow back?

Chances are good that it will. Keep the water super clean, do some extra water changes, to ward off any possible fungal invaders. I'd say salt but cories can't take salt, so that's no good. Indian Almond leaves are very good though, if you can find some. They have natural antibiotic properties, so they can be helpful for healing. I used them for some Bettas with badly damaged fins.. one of them the Betta from the hot water. He'd rubbed more than half his gill fins and a good portion of his ventral fin off on coarse substrate most unsuited to a Betta. Grew back a half inch of gill fin in quite a short time and new tissue on the ventral fin as well.

Ok, I'll do a water change tomorrow and keep the leaves in mind. Would it help to wash the plants (they're fake) as well?

I have a cardinalis that have the back fin damaged, and after 1,5 year, he did grows but it back fin is always damaged, but the fish seems happy :)

It's true, the fin may never look as it once did. Might not be the same size, may not be the same colour even. But if there is enough of it left, some should grow back.

Cleaning the plants is not essential. The diatoms are not dirty, as such. A soft algae like growth, often called brown algae, but made of up diatoms instead. Does no harm, but most don't like the way it looks. It will go away on it's own once the silicates are used up, as has been said.

If it makes you feel better to wash off the plants, do so by all means.. can't hurt.

Back
Top Bottom