Agressive Dwarf gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zaphia1

Aquarium Advice Regular
From what I could gather DG were supposed to be peaceful in a community tank. At the advice of some on here, I only got one, so that they wound not become territorial against each other. However my DG harasses my guppies all the time. There are periods of time where he is fine and everything seems right with the world, but then he will go crazy again and start chasing the guppies. I'm worried, and pretty sure they are stressed.

I have five guppies and one DG in a 10 g planted tank. I haven't checked my levels in a couple days, but the tank was balanced then, and I did a 20% water change yesterday.

Dwarf gourami's are often aggressive even when kept singly. This isn't too uncommon. There is little you can do in such a small tank other than to return or rehome the DG. Do you have a lot of plants and some DW to break the line of sight in the tank?

Dwarf gourami's are often aggressive even when kept singly. This isn't too uncommon. There is little you can do in such a small tank other than to return or rehome the DG. Do you have a lot of plants and some DW to break the line of sight in the tank?

I have some. Not very much though. I have another DW that I am adding soon with java moss that will arrive on Friday.

More DW and plants may or may not help. Some DG just have bad temperaments the same as Betta's.

+1 A while back I had a DG that died in a tank crash. He was the most peaceful member of my tank. Then I got another after it was up and running, and it was crazy. I had to rehome it days after I got it.

In fortunately I cannot rehome, as I only have the one tank. How would you suggest safely returning and transporting him to the LFS?

First of all contact the fish store and explain the problem as ask if you can return him for a refund or credit. Most stores will give your credit but some will only take them back. If the store isn't far away just put him in a gallon zip lock with tank water, not a ton but enough he's comfortable, zip the bag ALMOST closed, then blow in some air to inflate the bag and hurry up and zip the tiny opening before the air comes out and the bag deflates. I've done this before for short periods of time and it works.

First of all contact the fish store and explain the problem as ask if you can return him for a refund or credit. Most stores will give your credit but some will only take them back. If the store isn't far away just put him in a gallon zip lock with tank water, not a ton but enough he's comfortable, zip the bag ALMOST closed, then blow in some air to inflate the bag and hurry up and zip the tiny opening before the air comes out and the bag deflates. I've done this before for short periods of time and it works.

Thanks! I will for sure use this in the future. Currently he was really acting out, so I isolated him with a guppy breeder box that I had. Only for about an hour. He was a little stressed, but when I put him back he was much calmer. I'm gonna wait to see if the addition of more plants and DW as hiding places will help too. If that doesn't work, then I guess to the LFS we will go. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom