Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-12-2004, 10:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Agressive Gourami

I have a black molly that was the only resident of my tank for at least 6 months. I recently put a red dwarf gourami (I think that's what it is, the pet store just called it a gourami) into the tank. It constantly picks on the molly and chases it. Is there anything I can do to make it behave or will I have to take it back? Can underfeeding cause this behavior? or heat? I would rather have the molly than the gourami, but if I can make the gourami behave itself, I would be very happy. Thanks

Old 08-12-2004, 10:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had the same problem. There is something you can do. If you have a fish bowl or large vase you can keep gouramis without filtration or airation if you do 25% water changes weekly. I have a gourami in a fish bowl right now- I put him there out of desperation after he killed two male lyretail mollies and one other gourami. Gouramis are very territorial.

Old 08-12-2004, 10:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

One other thing- adding more fish or another gourami may save your molly, but the fish you add will be tortured until he's very stressed and may possibly die. The best bet is to keep him in a separate tank/fishbowl/vase or send him back to the store. 8O Hope this helps! Good luck!
Old 08-12-2004, 10:27 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

When it comes to dwarf gouramis, there is no "making" it do anything, LOL! They are a scrappy sort and sometimes they work out, sometimes they don't. The larger tank, the better, even though they are recommended for 10 gals and up. I have kept them for years and in small tanks they can be terrorists, and I currently have one that is something of a terrorist in a 55gal, but not too bad since he has so much space.

One thing they really appreciate is tall plants, preferably live but not mandatory, as they reside near the surface and like to build bubble nests. Open water is not their favorite thing, so if you don't already, get some plastic, silk or live plants that reach the surface and that might help.

BTW, Welcome to AA!
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 10:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes, I agree! definitely give the molly places to hide and put plants in if you're going to try it out!
Old 08-13-2004, 05:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Those darn gourami's they are very agressive. my big blue gourami always picks on my dwarf gourami.... the poor little guy...

1 Rosy Barb
1 Blue Gourami
1 Sucker fish
AKelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
agressive, gourami

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com