AH! tank has a crack in glass!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blueeyes

Aquarium Advice Regular
I JUST noticed that my tank has a crack down the side of the glass! (it's probably my fault :oops: ).Its up towards the top of the tank. I guess the good news is that it's not ALL the way down the tank, it's just like 2 inches long and very, very thin. It's fine now- no water is leaking or anything of that sort. I'm just concerned about how long the tank will last now. Its a new tank. Is there something I could put on it to keep it from cracking more or should I leave it?

i would fix it, depending on the size of the tank and the water pressure you may have a room full of water tommorrow.

If the crack is near the top of the tank i would drop the water level to below the crack or the pressure will make it worse. If the tank was damaged when you got it get your lfs to change it.
Cracks are unpredictable and can go at any time, you really need to get it seen to.

Sorry for being so blunt but i would hate to see your tank burst.

Dont worry about being blunt. I'd rather know what to do here so I can take care of it. :wink: I could drop the water a bit- since it is very close to the top of the tank. However, the heater on my tank says that the water has to be at a certain level. I think that if I was to drop the water level, it would be too low for the heater.

i would take it back and say it was there when you got it as it will give way one day and i dont see how you can fix it you could change the class but i would sort it out quick time as i have had a 2ft tank blow up on me and it was not nice...hope you got it sorted good luck my fishy mate :)

After reading the instruction on a new tube of silicon glue I found out that it can be used to repair cracks in tank, though you would have to move the fish and empty the tank for about 24 hours while its sets.

Oh no! I think your best bet is just to get a new tank. I agree with the others that even though it's a small crack, it could go at any time. I would go to the store and tell them what happened (it probably was there when you got it, I doubt you could have hit it hard enough somehow when setting it up) and buy a new one. Then take the new one home, change tanks, and then take the cracked one back. I would see if they'll let you do it this way so you can just transfer everything to the new tank so it doesn't dry out and kill the good bacteria. Adding a small amount of Bio-Spira again may not hurt either, maybe a 1/8 of a teaspoon to compensate for what was on the sides of the old tank. Check your parameters carefully, but this shouldn't cause a major halt in cycling. Just transfer the gravel and decorations right from the old tank, and don't rinse them off, to keep any bacteria intact that is on them.

Back
Top Bottom