Ahh the floating particle dilemma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joedarat

Aquarium Advice Activist
29 gal Fluval 204

so it doesnt seem to be getting any better, but maybe a bit worse. It was suggested to get a Magnun H.O.T and run it about 20 hours a week.. Or, get some filter floss.

shouldnt the fluval be enuf? the three chambers are stuffed completely (bottom- carbon, middle and top - bio max). Maybe thats too much?

I guess I can try the floss, I just hate the idea of opening the canister more than i need too.. im assuming it will get clogged , and will need to be changed often.

I use 1" or more in my Eheims. I don't have to change that often. Ho you have a HOB filter for mechanical filtration, that you can clean weekly? Just a cannister is a pain IMO. I start out all my tanks w/Aquaclear filters & add a canister to any tank over 50g.

I use 1" or more in my Eheims. I don't have to change that often. Ho you have a HOB filter for mechanical filtration, that you can clean weekly? Just a cannister is a pain IMO. I start out all my tanks w/Aquaclear filters & add a canister to any tank over 50g.

What are you using as a substrate?
I use very fine sea sand and I can constantly see a little sand floating around. and a thin dusting on everything including my pleco. And this is a three month old tank. I tried one of the clairfiing meds which worked for precisely 12 hours. and then the old sand came back.

do you think if I just added an aquaclear hob , it would help alot? not overkill for a 29 gal? .. I guess it would be alot cheaper than the magnum HOT.

jeff, I dont use any fine substrate like sand, just have regular lfs gravel ..

I just like the fact that I can remove the debris collected in a HOB filter easier than a cannister. You can't leave that stuff in there. It's like sweeping dirt under the rug. You have to have at least 1 form of mechanical filtration. I use my AC for both, on my smaller tanks. I stack: sponge (on bottom), 1" filter floss (for polishing the water, crystal clear) & BioMax, in a bag (for biological filtration). An AC 300 should work fine for a 29g.

All you're using in your fluval is chemical and biological filtration. Although the biomax is porous, it doesn't get EVERYTHING in your tank. You should put a filter pad or filter floss in one chamber. There are probably 3 chambers to you can utilize all forms of filtration: biological, mechanical, chemical.

Back
Top Bottom