"Ahhhhhhh- glass chips" advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tanktop

Aquarium Advice Regular
i have a 38g freshwater set up, running for 2-3 months, cycled, planted and partially stocked. it's my pride and joy.
i came home from work yesterday and to my horror found about 8 thin very shallow chips in the front pane. i can only assume my 3 yr old daughter has been giving it a good whack with something hard. i can't say the finding helped the rest of my evening go well, grrrr.

anyway, the question is - does anyone have any tricks for making very shallow cosmetic chips (they are so shallow i am not wooried about structural problems) look less obvious. i don't want my fish gazing ruined by these chips which will bug me and bug me and bug me.

help!

I know it sounds daft but autoglass?! (if your from the uk)
Oh dear. Kids!!! Know the feeling all too well. I have a 3 year old too! :)

I know it sounds daft but autoglass?! (if your from the uk)
Oh dear. Kids!!! Know the feeling all too well. I have a 3 year old too! :)

You must be up in a loft.

Sorry, heard it on Dr. Who.

i have a 38g freshwater set up, running for 2-3 months, cycled, planted and partially stocked. it's my pride and joy.
i came home from work yesterday and to my horror found about 8 thin very shallow chips in the front pane. i can only assume my 3 yr old daughter has been giving it a good whack with something hard. i can't say the finding helped the rest of my evening go well, grrrr.

anyway, the question is - does anyone have any tricks for making very shallow cosmetic chips (they are so shallow i am not wooried about structural problems) look less obvious. i don't want my fish gazing ruined by these chips which will bug me and bug me and bug me.

help!

Do you mean scratches in the center of the glass or chips on the edge of the glass?

If it's scratches in the glass, try some old style white gritty toothpaste (ie gel won't work) and a soft cloth and polish it in a circular motion. Worked great for me on a used tank I bought. If it chips (shards) of glass on the edges, the some fine sandpaper run up and down should remove the sharp edges.

If there's actual chunks (chips) missing from the center of the glass, I'd be a bit concerned myself.

If there's actual chunks (chips) missing from the center of the glass, I'd be a bit concerned myself. Quoting MrLimpet.

Im not sure because I've never had it happen, but what about silicone aquarium sealant. IF there are chips missing as Mr Limpet said. I'd be a little worried about the structural integrity of the tank. Fill the chips with the sealant and then as cls8s said, turn the tank around!

The Autoglass suggestion might not be such a bad idea. You guys must have firms that repair chips in car windscreens, the principal must be simiar.

And if your lucky you might be able to claim on your contents insurance if you have accidental damage cover :D

Ickletas said:
The Autoglass suggestion might not be such a bad idea. You guys must have firms that repair chips in car windscreens, the principal must be simiar.

That's what my point was lol

Yeah call my mate Gavin from auto glass, sometimes it's completely free so you won't have to pay a penny lol!

The principal of repair should be the same. A tank is glass just like a windscreen!
I'm glad I could rise a giggle from you all :)

electric fence around the tank. 220 volts that should stop those cracks

Thanks for all the advice. They are shallow scratches. I interrogated the culprit and they were made with the pointy end of knitting needles. I'll try the toothpaste +/- 220 volts!
I am not worried that the glass is weakened, just blemished.

Tanktop said:
Thanks for all the advice. They are shallow scratches. I interrogated the culprit and they were made with the pointy end of knitting needles. I'll try the toothpaste +/- 220 volts!
I am not worried that the glass is weakened, just blemished.

You mean to say you got the answer?! Please tell me your interrogation skills!!
I get nothing from my 3 year old.

Back
Top Bottom