Air Driven Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Azabujuban

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently got a new ten gallon tank where I plan to house some shrimp, live plants, and other smaller fish.

I think the external filter that came with the tank is too powerful for both intake and return flow.

Does anyone recommend or use air driven filters in their tank? Do they work?

Thank you.

Air driven filters work just fine, I've used them for years. But why do you think what came with the tank is too powerful ? You can get corner filters, or sponge filters, both work, though the corner filter will remove more coarse detritus than a sponge will. Don't bother using activated charcoal in any filter, it's not needed and the space is better used by more more biomedia, whether sponge, floss or ceramic media.

There are things you can do to slow or mitigate intake and output. What brand is the filter ? You can often put a baffle on the output to split the flow and send it sideways, and a sponge or net cover on the intake will prevent small or baby fish from getting into the intake tube.

But even small fry don't get sucked up all that often.. they can feel the strength of the water flow quite well and avoid it if it's too strong. Many fish that end up in filters end up there because they were curious or chased something inside the tube, and once they swim in they can't swim out. But a sponge prefilter prevents this and adds some extra biofiltration as well.

Stock filter can't be too powerfull :p The more filtration, the best it is. Make sure your tank is cycled before you add any shrimp, they'll not survive cycling process, and will die very fast.

Back
Top Bottom