Air Pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asboss

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,

I have a Fluval Edge 23ltr and want to add an air stone but am worried about the noise of the pump, can anyone recommend a silent or as near to silent pump.
I only want a small pump to add a bubble effect. :fish2:

Regards (y)(y)(y)(y)

From my point of view, air pump will never really be silent. Maybe compress air from a tank could work. In any case, the bubble from the water will make noise. Normally, air pump are hidden under the tank, in a close environment. Exterior air pump are better because it make less noise in they aquarium, and i believe noise affect fish. Sorry i don't have comparisons to tell you, i only try one.

Tetra whispers are the quietest I've found, it's all I'll use now. I leave it on 24/7 in my room and never ever hear it, sleep with it on and everything, not a sound.

Tetra whispers are the quietest I've found, it's all I'll use now. I leave it on 24/7 in my room and never ever hear it, sleep with it on and everything, not a sound.

Thanks for that, I will defo look into the Tetra. The filter on my Fluval is almost silent so want an air pump that's the same.

Regards (y)(y)(y)(y)

I have a tetra whispers to. Seem ok, but get one size smaller from what you need and a better check valve. Example : if you have a 30g get a 20 tetra whispers. Thank for the thank.

Patrice said:
I have a tetra whispers to. Seem ok, but get one size smaller from what you need and a better check valve. Example : if you have a 30g get a 20 tetra whispers. Thank for the thank.

Yeah, I have the smallest size for my 20 and it works great for it.

Bigger is better, more air is always good. The Tetra Whispers are quiet, but so are the Azoo air pump (and the Azoos are cheaper depending on where you get them). Either one should be quieter than the bubbles they produce.

Fishguy2727 said:
Bigger is better, more air is always good. The Tetra Whispers are quiet, but so are the Azoo air pump (and the Azoos are cheaper depending on where you get them). Either one should be quieter than the bubbles they produce.

I was saying more that they're powerful and quite at the same time.

00youknowit00 said:
I was saying more that they're powerful and quite at the same time.

Usually bigger is better (usually ) but you need to restriction the water flow, doing so will make it louder, Air pump only add air in aquarium because its doing wave on top of aquarium.

I have a tetra and a topfin. They are both pretty quite, but is say my topfin is more quite than the tetra. Good luck!

Air pump only add air in aquarium because its doing wave on top of aquarium.

This is not true. Bubbles actively aerate the water. Gas exchange occurs at ANY air-water surface. The oxygen doesn't stop and think, 'Hey, this is just a bubble, I can't cross here, I have to wait until I am in the air above the water.' This is well known and accepted in other industries, but for some reason it just can't seem to catch on here (maybe because none of us are professionals, just hobbyists, regurgitating what we hear other hobbyists claim?). Bubble aeration is a strong tool in both aquaculture (real aquaculture, not hobbyist aquariums) and sewage treatment because the bubbles themselves actively aerate the water column.

Back
Top Bottom