Air pump and air stone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClearVision94

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does the size of an air stone really matter when it comes to the size of an air pump? I was wondering if I could use a small air stone with a 10-30 gallon air pump?.

Note: I don't like bubblers because I'm trying to maintain a natural look in the aquarium, but I know it's really necessary since I don't have enough plants to produce the oxygen needed. So that's why I want a small air stone...

If you don't like airstones, a HOB filter or canister with an upward facing output should provide more than enough surface agitation to oxygenate a reasonably stocked tank most of the time.

As far as the airstone goes, I think a higher output pump on a smaller airstone would only make a more intense stream of bubbles. It would still do what you want it to do. If you find that it's just too much, you can try to slightly crimp that airline such that it reduce the pump output somewhat.

Does the size of an air stone really matter when it comes to the size of an air pump? I was wondering if I could use a small air stone with a 10-30 gallon air pump?.

Note: I don't like bubblers because I'm trying to maintain a natural look in the aquarium, but I know it's really necessary since I don't have enough plants to produce the oxygen needed. So that's why I want a small air stone...
I wouldn't bother with one. I had them myself and got rid of them. Doing a good PWC, 30-50% with be sufficient to maintain a good level of oxygen in the tank......

I was just uncertain, because I thought that since its a small air stone, it would be putting in more pressure on the pump rather than one of those long air stones and that to much pressure would brake the pump. That was my concern.

If you still want to use one, you could use a twin valve. Connect the stone and if you think the pressure is too strong or you have to many bubbles, you simply open the spare valve.....
Available ebay/Amazon etc

Attachments

• 2-way-air-pump-manifold-taps-fishing-tank.jpg
    2-way-air-pump-manifold-taps-fishing-tank.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 198
I got a 10 gallon tetra whisper pump along with a gang valve on amazon, have 4 air stones on that pump with more than enough power. Wish I would have known that before I got much larger air pumps for my big tanks

If you don't like airstones, a HOB filter or canister with an upward facing output should provide more than enough surface agitation to oxygenate a reasonably stocked tank most of the time.

As far as the airstone goes, I think a higher output pump on a smaller airstone would only make a more intense stream of bubbles. It would still do what you want it to do. If you find that it's just too much, you can try to slightly crimp that airline such that it reduce the pump output somewhat.

Does HOB stand for "hang on back"?

I was just uncertain, because I thought that since its a small air stone, it would be putting in more pressure on the pump rather than one of those long air stones and that to much pressure would brake the pump. That was my concern.

From memory if the pressure builds up then the pump will sound louder. So you could try the air stone connected/disconnected and see if a difference.

Honestly you really don't need it. But I have a small stone on one of mine that is rated up to a 60g tank. You can do it. But again you really don't need it anymore.

Back
Top Bottom