Air Pump output

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

src

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just getting back into the hobby after about 20 years (my, how things have changed!). I've got a 29 gallon freshwater setup, and am 2 weeks into cycling with fish - my mistake in not doing more research before I got started. I figured my past experience would carry over.

Right now, I'm having an issue with the air pump. I've got a Rena 300, hooked up to one of those TopFin 4-way metal manifolds. This is feeding the two bubblers for the undergravel filter (yeah, I know) and a 4" ceramic airstone (the GF likes the bubbles). The problem is, it can only drive the 2 bubblers or the airstone, but not all 3. This seems more than odd, considering the specs on the pump.

Since the Rena only has one outlet, it is obvious that some form of manifold is required to drive multiple airstones. I have to assume that the air volume is being overly restricted, either by the supply tubing or by the manifold.

Anyone have some advice on this issue? Thanks in advance!

BTW - I had forgotten how hard it is to fight MTS. Even now, I find myself twitching everytime I walk past the empty tanks in the store.

Welcome to AA src! You will eventually sucumb to MTS, don't fight it. :D

I had the same problem with an air pump while using the multiple airstones. The easiest way to fix it? Buy another air pump and use them both.

On the Rena web page it says that there is a flow control on the pump but, it doesn't say where it is located

Thanks for the replies. I have the flow control set to max, so the air isn't being restricted at the pump. As for multiple pumps, I'm not sure I can get away with that - the noise from these things is quite annoying. I had one of the curved Whisper line, and returned it for the Rena. Neither one is anywhere near "silent", at least to not me. The tank is 2 rooms from the family room, and I can still hear it clearly when the TV is at low volume. I've even placed the pump on some foam packing material to isolate it from the stand.

I'm actually considering routing the air hose under the house (the tank is on the first floor) and putting the pump(s) in the crawlspace to help cut the noise down.

Back to the main point, I get the feeling that the problem seems odd to you as well. I may have to take the manifold out of the equation. I might have to rig something temporary up with some cheap splitters just as a sanity check.

You could also purchase a pump with two outputs. We have had several of those and they work great. The problem itself does not seem odd to me. When the air is being forced out it is going through the first available tubes. So naturally two of the tubes will have the strong flow. The others may just have dribbles.

If the noise is that bad, I'd assume there is something wrong with the pump. I am running a Marineland Airmaster right now on my desk and I can barely hear it. I once purchased an Eheim because I figured it had to be good if it was an Eheim, boy was I wrong.

Fishyfanatic said:
You could also purchase a pump with two outputs. We have had several of those and they work great. The problem itself does not seem odd to me. When the air is being forced out it is going through the first available tubes. So naturally two of the tubes will have the strong flow. The others may just have dribbles.

OK, confession time. I found the problem. The Whisper pump came with an external flow control valve, which I installed inline in a place that wasn't visible during a cursory inspection. Obviously, I forgot all about it. It was turned down. As we say at the office, the fault in the system was located between the chair and the keyboard. Sorry to have wasted everyone's time.

Fishyfanatic said:
If the noise is that bad, I'd assume there is something wrong with the pump. I am running a Marineland Airmaster right now on my desk and I can barely hear it. I once purchased an Eheim because I figured it had to be good if it was an Eheim, boy was I wrong.

Well, both of the pumps I have had operate at base frequency that I hear REALLY well - I'm guessing close to a 60Hz tone. Actually, I have pretty exceptional hearing to begin with, so I don't think the pump is defective. Just not silent enough to please me. The crawlspace idea is looking better all the time, especially if I end up with more tanks.

The bad part is that my house has a "formal" living and dining room that are totally unused. I'm thinking I may have found a way to use them.

Back
Top Bottom