Air Pump/Stone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cJw

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm trying to decide if I'll want/need an air stone at all.

My setup is a 30 gal long, and I plan on having it pretty close to stocked full, once I can get it there. . . so should I simply plan on having an air pump and stone just to assure adequate oxygen?

If so, will this be a problem for my CO2 supply when and if I decide to add a few low maintenance (real) plants?

tia, as always!

I actually argued with my wife for quite some time about this. I was sure that the filter provided enough surface agitation and the airstone wasn't needed. I gave in and bought it.

Within a few weeks, I found that having it was the best idea my wife had. I am able to shut off my filter during maintenance and when ick was "accidentally" introduced, it came it real handy.

Air is air and it will not have any affect on the plants.

From what I have read, airstones will increase the co2 diffusion out of the tank. So if you run high light with demanding plants, co2 injection will become a necessity for plant growth. If injecting co2 into the tank, it doesn't make much sense to aerate the surface and drive it off. Until then, however, for low light plants it won't make any diffference. So aerate away if you like the looks of it. Any HOB filter is likely to give enough surface agitation to oxygenate for the fish, and if there is good water circulation there won't be any hypoxic zones.

It sure seems that heavy fish stock and high light, lots of demanding plants are not often done together. I may be wrong about this. But it sure seems that when going the high tech plant route, fish stocking becomes secondary and more conservative. Heavy fish and heavy plants, if not exclusive, would require expertise?

Airstones,bubblers and alike break the surface tension of the water making gas exchange IE.carbon dioxide out,oxygen in.
The idea with CO2 is to have as little surface turbulence as possible so airstones, and bubblers are bad for co2 setups-Anne

Well, my main concern was just that my fish were getting enough o2 and water circulation; if I have my HOB a little left of middle, will it be stirring the water well enough, say, in the lower right corner :?:

When I say 'low maintenance plants', I mean Java Fern, Anubias, perhaps a Water Sprite - very low maintenance (unless I'm mistaken).

I was wondering moreso for the use of air as another 'decor' item, and no, I won't have any opening/closing treasure chests or skellies drinking rum. :roll:

Oh, and thanks for the info/replies! :D

with the low light, low tech plant set up you want you could aerate if you want the look. Otherwise your fish will be ok without it.

Back
Top Bottom