Air stone ? ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pandicorn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Do I really need a air stone? I have a bubble wand, airline tubing, and pump and whatnot, but do I really need the wand? I mean I use it sometimes, it looks nice, but couldn't I just hang the tube into the water? That's what I'm doing atm, as I got rid of my little filter waterfall (dad complained about noise) so I'm just using the pump to agitate the water a bit more. Will post pics in morn.

You don't need an air stone or air bubbler just as long as you have some type of surface agitation like a hob filter or a powerhead. If the water level is raised to where the water fall from the filter and water level meet it will be completely quiet.

I know some types of fish like a lion head goldfish need an air stone because the folds on there face make it difficult for them to breath because of their gills are covered.
What kind of fish do you have?

In my case I have no surface agitation in my tank, and I'm injecting CO2. The O2 generated by the plants is enough for my fishs.

I have a filter... I just raised the water level so that the filter does not cause a mini waterfall, just sorta bubbles underneath.

If you have a small bioload, or no goldfishs, then the tank just need a bit of surface agitation. The water going through the filter then coming back to the tank by the "water ramp" is usually enough for aeration.

If you feel your tank is more beautifull with a airstone, add it, but it's not necessary IMO.

My 10g QT/Hospital tank is only running a small filter, I have never had any O2 problems.

If you have a small bioload, or no goldfishs, then the tank just need a bit of surface agitation. The water going through the filter then coming back to the tank by the "water ramp" is usually enough for aeration.

If you feel your tank is more beautifull with a airstone, add it, but it's not necessary IMO.

My 10g QT/Hospital tank is only running a small filter, I have never had any O2 problems.

'S a canister filter

You can align the output so it moves the surface of the water without "splashing" it, so your dad won't complain about the splashing noise.

its so noisy the fish cant talk....

I just read an article...

"All tanks should have a pump to keep water flowing continuously.

Keep them in a quiet area. Fish “talk” with one another through a range of low-frequency sounds. The pumps and filters necessary in many home aquariums can interfere with this communication, so use quiet equipment, and don’t place radios or televisions near your fish." [quote;peta]"

Although Im not sure about this, I do have a pump, a fluval [and its sort of quite] and a large stone bubbler...... but the sound of the bubbles is by far the noisier.

Im wondering if this can stress the fish......
fishtank.JPG

Back
Top Bottom