Air stones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tamtam

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is probably a little silly but I've just wondered.

When do you opt for one? I've debated my need for one for a little while now and I just don't think it's a need but then i wonder when is it?

I'm running 2 HOBS, Penguins with biowheels on my 20 gallon so there is a ton of surface movement and no doubt in my mind that my fish are getting enough oxygen but are there any other benefits of running an air stone, other than perhaps a persons preference for looks.

If you have enough surface movement it not really needed. It's mostly aesthetic. They do come in handy during a power outage, it you have a battery backup, or battery powered pump. I have them in all my tanks. My African feather fin in my cichlid likes to lay on them, my community tank they are incorporated into some LED lights for the look, plus in both of those tanks I have canister filters that depending on the water level, don't really agitate the top of the water.

thank you. that's basically what I had expected/thought. I don't have any experience with canisters and had wonder what current they provided. Good to know if I ever jump into them

My canisters provide a ton of flow, but the return is below the water line. I run Fluval 306's in both my bigger tanks (55 & 37 gallon), and hey filter great, but I set the return low so they don't splash when I have the tops off for maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom