Airation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If your fish are at the top breating hard is the best way to tell? Also if they are breathing hard in general.

Yep. For the record, your stocking doesn't seem excessive, and usually any aquarium with a HOB filter will keep good oxygenation of the water.

Overstocked tanks with only submersed, non-venturi powerheads are more likely to be low on O2. Breaking the water's surface allows efficient gas exchange.

I agree with Rich, the fish swimming to the top too often and breathing hard is the best way 2 tell if the airation isnt enough.

you could also buy one of those O2 test kits, they only do 30 tests though, its easier if ya fish just keep going to the top, plus bubble tubes and stones are a nice visual additive

Yeah, I've just been using a HOB for airation since i was told that works just find for that purpose. Havn't had one issue yet.

Unless you have an extremely tall and narrow tank, ie: surface are of the tank is little compared to the volume of the tank, surface agitation by filter outflow will more than likely provide enough aeration to let adequate oxygen diffuse into the water. Higher temperatures decrease oxygen saturation. SW holds less oxygen than FW, I believe. You would have to have a very crowded tank or heavily planted with co2 injection to make oxygen a problem.

But I othwerwise agree with the surface gasping, although I have never seen this.

Back
Top Bottom