airstones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmlong

Aquarium Advice Activist
Do airstones REALLY do anything. All they seem to do is make a mess out of the hood. Are there any significant benefits to having one in?

For the most part, air stones are an esthetic addition to the tank, as many people just like the look of the bubbles rushing upwards. They do provide oxygenation to the water with surface agitation from the bubbles bursting, but most tanks have perfectly adequate oxygenation from the filter.

I like to add them when I am using high temps to treat for ich, for example, just to increase available O2, and they are also helpful in the case of nitrite spikes for the same reason.

They are also used in a fry tank, placed under the eggs, to keep water moving over them and help prevent fungus.

I find they help with water currents. it keeps the curent moving things around, like the food and stuff. but you dont NEED them...

I like having a couple of airstones around for QT tanks and if power goes out, then I hook up the battery operated airstones.

Back
Top Bottom