Alagae Eater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, first lets determine what won't work. CAE (chinese algae eaters) and common plecos get way too big. Oto's don't eat a lot of algae. Your best options would be the dwarf plecos like bristlenose or pitbull. There are lots of other small plecos, but those are the most commonly available (and cheapest). SAE (siamese algae eaters) get up to 6" long, but are the most versatile algae eaters. They are one the few that eat many varieties of hair algae. Their main drawback is that it can be hard to find true sae and not get stuck with a worthless flying fox instead (prepares for hate-mail from flying-fox lovers).

Golden chinese algae eaters are decent algae eaters when they are young but will get too big for a 20 (but it will take a while) and they may stop eating algae and instead try to eat the slime off of larger fish.

yeah thats what ive been reading and have decided tomorrow, ill return this little guy and get something else.

saw a rubber lip and a albino chocolate, are either or those good?

Rubber lip is an excellent choice. I can't believe that I forgot it (unless you lump it under other small plecos but they are common enough that I should have cited them as an option). Albino Choclate will get too big.

Back
Top Bottom