Albino bichir

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rockyofhockey

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all I have a baby 3 inch albino bichir living in my 40 gallon tank. It seems that he has a lump on his left side of his stomach I'm not sure what this is so plz help.

Can you post a picture? I dont know much about bichirs except I saw "dinosaur" bichirs at petsmart before.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hello all I have a baby 3 inch albino bichir living in my 40 gallon tank. It seems that he has a lump on his left side of his stomach I'm not sure what this is so plz help.

What do you feed him?
Do you have any other fish In his tank that have recently had any infections with internal parasites?
What's his substrate?
All these answered will lead me to the answer which I've already got one in my head but I wanna know these things first because it could be horrifically wrong if one of those is out of the ordinary!
By albino bichir I assume you mean an albino polypterus senegalus, which in my opinion, need at very very least 55 gallons, you may want to consider upgrading his tank. Thankfully bichirs aren't fast growers so you have some time!

Well he's in a 40 gallon breeder so he has a TON of space so far there's a angelfish a tetra and a goldfish which he absolutely LOVES always by his side and ik goldfish produce a lot of waste but I have a 60 gallon filter for it and I have tiny blue substrate which I'm planning to switch to san by the end if the month. Also no fish have had any infection since at least 5 months ago which they all died but I cleaned everything an it's ok

Oh and I feed him cut up shrimp pellets and freeze dried blood worms

Well he's in a 40 gallon breeder so he has a TON of space so far there's a angelfish a tetra and a goldfish which he absolutely LOVES always by his side and ik goldfish produce a lot of waste but I have a 60 gallon filter for it and I have tiny blue substrate which I'm planning to switch to san by the end if the month. Also no fish have had any infection since at least 5 months ago which they all died but I cleaned everything an it's ok

Ok well first goldfish are cold water fish and should not be with those fish I suggest removing him. Depending on the tetra almost all like to school so I recommend upgrading that. If they're neons or small tetras like that the angel will likely eat the and once the bichirs bigger so will he. Now, it's probably just undigested food. My baby delhezi bichir had this happen some times and it was always just shrimp or pellets. If it doesn't go away in a couple days then something more serious could be the case.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389923921.212587.jpg
As u can see it's a noticeable lump it's gone down since yesterday (when the pic was taken)

Yeah I'm 99.67% sure its undigested food. I wouldn't be too worried about it. Just keep an eye on him and get that stock worked out! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom