Albino clawed frogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mab2000

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was at Petco today and saw a group of Albino clawed frogs. I had never seen these but I think they are really cool. They were selling for 13 bucks a piece. I really wanted one but before I spent that kind of money I wanted to know a little more about them. The worker in the section was filling in and she didn't even know they were there let alone what kind of care they needed. So my question is, does anyone out there have any of these? Is there care similar to ADF as far as food, tank size, etc? Thanks

African clawed frogs are Nothing like ADFs to be honest, they aren't even in the same genus! They grow much larger (4-6 inches long) and will eat anything large enough to fit in their mouths, which can be fairly large fish. Definitely google them if you want specific information as there is tons of info available as they've been in the pet industry for several decades! Good luck :)

Well that is a bummer, doesn't seem like they do well with fish. Guess I will wait until I upgrade to a larger tank and then make my current 10 gallon home to them.

They're very interesting frogs, and very bold ones too! I've been bitten by these guys more times than I can count haha they also were used as pregnancy tests at one time, which I've always thought was just bizarre lol

Yeah I like to have different things in my aquariums then just fish. I saw this and for once I showed some restraint before I bought. Glad I did because I may have woke up to an empty fish tank.

And the pregnancy test thing is just weird, how the heck did they do that?

To my understanding, and I may be slightly incorrect, but what they would do is inject a female ACF with the urine of a suspectedly pregnant woman, and the hormones present that in said urine would cause the frog to lay underutilized eggs, if the woman wasn't pregnant, the frog would not lay any eggs

They're very interesting frogs, and very bold ones too! I've been bitten by these guys more times than I can count haha they also were used as pregnancy tests at one time, which I've always thought was just bizarre lol

What size tank do you keep yours in?

I don't keep them anymore, but the minimum I'd say is a 20 long, but a 30 or 40 would be even better

Back
Top Bottom