Albino cory cats - overly active?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callisto9

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got two albino cory cats yesterday from the LFS. They said I should get four (and they were right), but 1) I didn't want four and 2) my bioload will be at max capacity once I add my gourami next week. So, I'm not sure how I'm going to handle this problem. Getting two more would put my stocking level at 107%.

I acclimated them and put them in my 20G community tank and for two days straight, they've been zipping back and forth across the middle front of my tank. Is this normal behavior for them? They are rarely on the bottom of the tank.

All my parameters are good and I do weekly water changes of about 30%. They have a heater, filter... all that good stuff. Temp at 79/80. All other fish are good.

Any ideas? I remember my guppies doing this the first new days I brought them home, but they settled down eventually.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, using AqAdvisor.

I have three fancy guppies, two apple snails, seven glowlight tetras, two peacock gudgeons, two albino cory cats and will be adding my one dwarf gourami next weekend.

It already seems packed in there as it is!

Wondering if I made a mistake by adding the two cory cats... can I add more, or am I done?

Thanks in advance for your help!

callisto9 said:
While I'm here, anyone have corys with Eco Complete substrate? Will their barbels be OK?

I have 2 Strebai Cory fish ( getting 4 more this conning weekend ) in my rank. I use Eco complete substrate and my Cory seem to be doing fine. I live these fish, so social they're all over the place.

I had six in a 15 gal, which isn't reccommended but they're pretty much the only community fish I have from the "original" crew, so they must have done alright! I find of all he Cory's, my albinos are the most active. Ive had them years, and they still actively swim up and down and side to side by the glass. I think it's their way of begging for a snack lol

Yes, they are insanely busy! Nonstop zigging and zagging.

So, if I wanted them to "school" and have buddies to hang out with, would I need to add two more albinos, or could I add a different variety? I'm just worried about over-stocking.

had albinos on eco for over a year and their barbels are just fine , Im of the opinion that barbel erosion is caused by poor water conditions , I think its the corry version of fin rot

In my experience they'll school with any other Cory's. Mine also school with my clown loach! They also try to make buddies with the big old Plecos, but I takes two to tango and the plecs aren't up for any active swimming lol. I would recommend pandas or skunks, they're so cute!!!

Ok, good to know. After some thought, I had wondered if Eco Complete was like glass on their barbels.

Anyone care to weigh in on my stocking level? I'm afraid to add two more.

Definitely pushing it since its a high. If it was a long it would be fine. Maybe add one more to make a trio and call it a day.

Thanks for your input.

Just out of curiosity, with just two, are they not as happy? Feel alone? What are the downsides of keeping "schooling" fish in smaller numbers? Insecurity? I've always wondered this about my glowlight tetras. At some point, when they pass, I'd like different fish, but if they must always be kept in a school, you'd never have 5, 4, 3, 2 then one left.

Just pondering...

Cories are content with each others company, and often "hang out" together, but they don't seem to be any better off with four than with three, etc. keeping them in groups reduces stress, and makes them more active rather than reclusive.

As for the tetras, they cant count, and wont know the difference between being in a group of 5, 4, 3 etc. schooling fish kept alone won't often be seen in the tank, as they will spend more time hiding.

Basically they feel safer in larger groups. It's in their nature. So being alone or in small groups causes them to feel insecure, shy, scared, exposed, stressed, etc. It's generally agreed upon amongst hobbyists that 6 is the magic number when it comes to security but really the more the better. With cories they seem to be a little different IME. They do ok with 3 or 4 compared to say tetras.

Back
Top Bottom