Albino Cory Concern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmanova

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought 3 Cory's. 2 are spotted cories and 1 is a Albino. Concern is the spotted cories hang together, traveling all around the tank like little kids. The Albino Cory hangs by itself and is noticeably less active, sometime just sitting on the tank bottom by itself. All 3 fish are healthy! Is this not a good mix? Why would the Albino Cory be so inactive?

What species is the albino?

Although my peppered and loxozonus cory species frolick together, my pygmys don't.

I don't know species! How can I determine that and I do not know why it would matter? Can you make me more smarter on the issue? I got the fish at Pet Smart and it just said Spotted Corys and Albino Corys. They are young about 1/2". I love Corys!

Your Corydoras Question

I bought 3 Cory's. 2 are spotted cories and 1 is a Albino. Concern is the spotted cories hang together, traveling all around the tank like little kids. The Albino Cory hangs by itself and is noticeably less active, sometime just sitting on the tank bottom by itself. All 3 fish are healthy! Is this not a good mix? Why would the Albino Cory be so inactive?

Hello g...

Your Albino is likely just taking longer to get used to your particular tank conditions and may be feeling lonely because you only have a couple of others. Corys don't have to be the same species to get along in the tank, all are very peaceful. I would recommend keeping no fewer than 5 or 6 in a tank.

I keep a lot of different species of Corydoras in my tanks and all get along eventually. Some tanks have 4 or 5 different kinds.

Corys do thrive in pure water conditions, so I remove and replace at least half the water in the tanks every week. So, keep the water clean and the Corys will be happy and healthy.

B

Thanks BBradbury! I will get a few more, maybe Panda's! Any idea why LindaB asked about species? All I know is they are called Cory Cats!

I asked because some cory species consider other corys of a different species to be one big happy bunch. And corys are really happy kept in bunches. That said, some corys, like my pygmys, disregard the other species entirely, so I would have to be sure to have a larger school of them, in order to keep them comfortable. Does that help?

Thanks BBradbury! I will get a few more, maybe Panda's! Any idea why LindaB asked about species? All I know is they are called Cory Cats!

Hello again g...

Good to get two or three more. Like I mentioned, I've never had a problem with putting several species of Corydoras together.

I've read some Corydoras, as they get larger, can be aggressive toward small fish and specifically toward fish fry, but I've kept Corys with my "Livebearers" for several years and haven't noticed any problems.

Can't comment on the other post, am not familiar with separate species of Albino Corys.

Above everything else, have fun!

B

Albino corys are usually bronze corys in albino form, however, that's not always the case. That's what I meant by "what species".

Back
Top Bottom