Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steve5520

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had freshwater tanks in the past, and after several years of having just a reef tank, I decide to start them up again.

I currently have two 30 gals set up and running for maybe 5 or 6 months now. One has a Marineland Emperor 400 filter, the other a Whisper. I only have fish in one tank right now, but plants in both. I have a variey of species, all plants seem to be doing very well. The one with fish has some platys, 6 cory cats and a pleco.

I have been adding Excel and Flourish on a regular basis.

One has a Coralife light fixture with a 96 watt PC 6700k bulb. The other has a fixture with 2 30 watt Ultra Sun Trichromatic bulbs.

I am getting some type of algae that I've never seen before. It's hard to describe, stringy almost like a fiber. Sometimes it grows off a rock, other times it just get entwined in the plants. It's growing in both tanks.

I have been running the lights for around 11 hours a day.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. It's getting tiresome pulling this junk out of the tanks.

Thanks for the reference to the article. From the pictures and descriptions, mine looks pretty much like Thread algae.

Maybe my first step should be to stop adding supplements until I figure out exactly how to control it. I'll have to read the label, but I'm thinking that Flourish adds IRON.

Back
Top Bottom