Algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aces11

Aquarium Advice FINatic
It's looks like I'm getting itty bitty green specs on the sides of my tank. I'm assuming it's algae. My magnet scraper doesn't really get it off from what I can tell and by BN is doing nothing. How can I get rid of the algae?

It's looks like I'm getting itty bitty green specs on the sides of my tank. I'm assuming it's algae. My magnet scraper doesn't really get it off from what I can tell and by BN is doing nothing. How can I get rid of the algae?

Oto cats. I personaly wasnt a fan of them but I had an alge problem in my 75 gallon so I got a group of 8 they have made a huge improvement within a few days and they are rather fun to watch.

Idk if I can add more fish to my tank though. I have a ton of platys and endlers plus the BN. Any other ways?

Idk if I can add more fish to my tank though. I have a ton of platys and endlers plus the BN. Any other ways?

Only other way is to not have your lights on till it goes away. The when its gone not have them on anymore then 8hrs a day. All chemicals are bad for the tank so avoid that.

Ya I wasnt gonna go get any chemicals. Just trying to figure out a lighting schedule. I usually turn the lights on when I get up and off when I go to bed. I've never had a problem until now.

I have otos and they do help with algae but not entirely. I also have a magna float algae scraper that works but not as thorough as I'd like (I want the glass to look crystal clear). So I basically take a small piece of microfiber and wipe the inside of my glass when I do my PWC's. Works like a charm!

I have a sponge with a scrubby side but I tried it earlier and I really have to scrub hard to get it off.

My tank isn't that deep so when I do a partial water change, the water level is low enough that I put on a dish washing glove (dedicated for my aquarium maintenance) and rub away with the microfiber.

I think some people have scrapped away (GSA, green spot algae) algae with a credit card. Not sure if that works because I haven't tried it.

Aside from Otos... You can try Nerite Zebra Snails and/or Malaysian Trumpet Snails. They wont eat your plants if you have any and eat just algae and uneaten fish food.

No I don't have any live plants. I've thought about a snail. How big are their bioloads?

I'm not sure about the Nerites but the MTS have very little bioloads. I think shrimp and snails contribute little to the bioload in general, but I'm not sure. Perhaps someone else can chime in. I did have a couple Mystery snails at one point but they pooped A LOT! so much to the effect that I brought them back to the LFS a few days later because I wasn't too keen on seeing all the snail droppings EVERYWHERE (more so than my fish)...

The reason I asked if your tank is planted Is because plants can use up the nutrients faster than some algae, which would ultimately starve the algae and they would be reduced (so your algae eaters can eat the rest). Also keeping your lights on too long or having your tank close to a window (exposed to sunlight) can contribute to your algae problem.

I saw someone with a cool zebra nerite earlier. I don't want to add anymore to my bioload though because I heard both platys and plecos have large bioloads.

Shrimp have no bioload . You can add as many as you like. Snail do have one, they poop a lot. So 1 snail for every 2 gallon i recommend. Snail do clean very well. But leave a mess like pleco.

Here are a list of some algae eaters: Aquarium Algae Eaters It says Nerites do eat the green algae too. I have two Horned Nerite snails and they are fun to watch (they don't move as slowly as you'd think lol) and are always sucking stuff off the glass, fake plants, and sand. They have some bioload I'm sure, but not as much as another fish would, you could probably add two safely to your tank I would think.

Thanks for the link. I'll try shortening the time my light is on and I'll also look for a nerite because they look really cool and my bristlenose plec doesn't seem to eat the algae.

Hello Aces...

You need to get some plants into the tank that will use up the nutrients. They need to be fast growing, those use the most food. Get some kinds of Hygrophila, Water sprite, Anacharis and some the "wort plants", like Horn and Penny.

If you're not already, you need to be doing 50 percent water changes every week.

This is all you need to do and the algae will be gone.

One last thing. Never, ever use chemicals to control algae, especially ones that contain "Gluteraldehyde".

B

If I added Marimo balls would it help? I saw some at the pet store a while back. I don't want any rooting plants because I strip down my tank for water changes and they would be a pain.

Tank Algae

Hello again Aces...

Not familiar with the Marimo item. My tanks are all heavily planted and I just syphon out half the water in the tank weekly and replace it with clean, treated water.

I don't do anything to the substrate and the plants just grow. I have a bit of algae in the tanks, but the fish and snails keep that under control.

Have never striped down a tank, other than to sell it when I've upgraded to a larger tank.

B

Back
Top Bottom