Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is the best way to grow green algae for a pleco?

i dont think that would be a good idea, Plecos dont really eat much algae, there main diet in the wild is wood. any type of driftwood would be your best bet, or the occasional algae wafer if he will even eat them.

Yea, their main diet is driftwood, but algae has a lot of nutrients they can use, plus it's a bonus treat for them

Yea, their main diet is driftwood, but algae has a lot of nutrients they can use, plus it's a bonus treat for them

yet chances are they will not eat enough in the tank allowing the algae to get out of control, unless grown in a separate tank. Plecos should never be used to as algae eaters, because they simply to not eat very much of it.

and i also suggested algae wafers

Ok, this is what I do, I leave half the back wall with algae, when I clean the tank, I obviously see the eating marks the plecos leave behind

How long would it be until the drift wood would be no good? And what's the tank size recommendation?

Well, it depends
Common plecos need a bare minimum of 75 gallons, you can keep one bristlenose or one rubber lip pleco in a 29 gallon, 2 in a 40 gallon, 4 in a 50 gallon

What about the starlight one? I was looking at the zebra pleco but there too small and may get eaten in the future

Starlight is a type of bristlenose pleco, as I said, one for 29, 2 for 40? And 4-5 for 50, what size is your tank?

Well i plan on putting angel fish in there too and maybe other fish, not sure on plans I know I want to try the plecos though

Ok, in the 40, I would honestly only put two, you can put 4 but they have a pretty high bio load, so i would only keep it at 2

Back
Top Bottom