Algae!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheFragile

Aquarium Advice Regular
Algae seems to grow pretty quickly in my tank. I do scrubbing a of the walls of the tank every week when I do a PWC, it seems to grow very rapidly.

It is next to a window, so I have even started keeping the light block curtains drawn. Has not fixed the problem.

I have read that over feeding can cause it, so I have also dramatically reduced the amount of food they get.

It's a 20 gallon, I am running 2 filters on it. One came with the tank so I'm sure it's not great, can't remember the exact specs. The other filter is an external filter. It's an Aqueon quiet flow 50.

The tank life: 5 corydoras, 5 glo skirt tetras, and 7 neon tetras.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Usually from 7am when I leave in the morning until my sons bed time around 8pm.

I would reduce the light a bunch. If you can get it down to around 8-9 hours that may help a lot. What type of light does your tank have?

Another option is biological control. You could probably get some shrimp or otocinclus catfish.

As far as I know it's just regular light bulbs. I know they aren't led or fluorescent. I'll try reducing the lighting time and see if that helps.

Shrimp will be ok with the corydoras? Also, with all of the algae that's in the tank, should the cat fish be all set if absolutely no food is falling to the bottom? I try to be sneaky with the few sinking pellets that I put in but the other fish are getting smarter and grabbing them before they fall.

Back
Top Bottom