Algae ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

esaone

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a ten gallon tank.
It use to house a baby Gold Severum and two small plecos.
I guess one of the fish gave the other fish Ich.
One of the plecos and the severum died.
My question is will enough Algae continue to form?
I figured that it would due to the light but I wasn't sure
if their would be enough to sustain the pleco.
I tried algae wafers but he wont touch the things.

well, i cant help you there but my tank is infront of the window in my room and during the day until 5:00 PM(CST) i dont get direct sunlight and that helps my plants alot since i dont have any special PC lights

Do you know what species of pleco you have? If you have a "common" pleco then he will eventually outgrow the 10 gallon tank, you will have a 12" or larger fish on your hands.

Tank algae alone shouldn't be relied upon to sustain the plec. Algae wafers, blanched veggies like zuchinni and squash and green beans can all be fed. As a common plec grows it will also need some protein in its diet. This can be accomplished by feeding the fish the occasional piece of shrimp or mussel, shrimp pellets can also be fed.

How long ago did the tank have ich and have you treated the tank with anything?

Bryan

Pleco's don't hunt for food all the time, they'll clean algea whenever, but if you toss in wafers, you'll typically get the most luck early in the morning or at night. Depending on how new they are to the tank, they might take awhile to come out during daylight hours.

I quess the part where I mention that the pleco won't eat the wafers will continue to go un noticed.

It didn't go unnoticed. Common plecs will also eat blanched veggies like zuchinni and squash. You can also see if it will eat cucumber, pieces of peeled potato and green beans. Common plecs need veggie matter in their diet but once they hit the 5-6" size range they begin to require more protein in their diet. This can be accomplished by feeding them shrimp, shrimp pellets, mussel etc.

I have plecs that will only eat certain brands of algae wafers. For some odd reason a few of them won't touch the Wardley wafers but will eat the Hikari and Omega Wafers. Just keep experimenting with different foods until you find a combination that it likes.

Bryan

Back
Top Bottom