Algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Japola44

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was looking at my 55 the other day and i noticed some little white thinso n the glass. they were little thin white strands about 2mm or so realy small, but they are everywhere on my fake drift wood too. I tryed getting pics but you can't see it. It makes the tanks look foggy. Is this algae or a fungus. Its not on any of my fish, but it looks like my snail has some. It could have been sand though. Any clue what this stuff is?

If it is algae, whats a good algea eater to get that my bichir won't harass?
I can really only think snails, but I don't want to get an infestation. Would a bunch of different breeds of snails work well. My current mystery snail doesn't do much except when i am feeding and he figured out how to eat blood worms that are floating near the glass... :roll:

Do the little white strands move? If you stick a finger in your substrate and swirl around, do some of the white things appear?

I think you are dealing with planaria/nematodes. Little flatworms/roundworms. They are harmless, but unsightly. Usually appear in a tank with excess nutrients (ie: overfeeding, underfiltering, not enough regular gravel/sand vaccumings, etc.).

Keep up on water changes and regular maintnence, and perhaps don't feed as much, and they will go away.

I think it is that new addition of my crayfish he is a messy eater, and for the past week my sisters keep asking me to let them see him eat. I also need to get a power head so leftovers don't just sit on the side of my tank without the filter :roll:

if only i had money lol.

well my crayfish was eaten... so he wont be such a problem any more,and my bichir is very fat and very happy now :x what a dumb bum!

Back
Top Bottom