Algae attack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the_fish_man

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Wel I got a new light about a month a go and turned on every light in it which is 250 watts and 3 days later... algae.
For a couple weeks it was attacking my plants and nearly killing them so I got some plant safe algae killer. It killed the algae off the plants and it isn't going back on the plants but it never stops coming on a piece of rock i have and the glass. I have been dosing the algae killer for over a month now. For those of you who know about saltwater it is starting to look like i have coraline algae.
Please help. It is not going a way.
And also on the outside of the tank this crispy stuff is growing I kepp wiping it off but the next day it is back.
Any help is appreciated
Thanks

The algae is coming back because you have so much light. Do you have co2 injected in the tank? If not, try using just 2 bulbs if its a 4 bulb fixture and has 2 power cords. That will cut back on the light and hopefully slow the algae growth. It wouldn't hurt to get more fast growing plants...stem plants to help use up nutrients and light and hopefully halt the algae growth.

Actually I have been having only 2 lights on ever since i found some.
Oh ans sorry for just leaving you hanging with those plants. My light died so I had to get a new one to keep the plants that i have now still alive and it was expensive so i didn't have enough money to get them.

No problem. :)

Hmm...Do you have any pics of the algae? ID'ing it might help decide if something else might be causing it. Or if you don't have a pic, can you describe it (color, texture-hard to scrub off/easy to wipe off, etc...)?

I still feel like adding more stem plants would help a bit. Are you dosing any ferts?

I agree with Kristin. Too much light and a nutrient imbalance are the probable causes. Are you dosing co2 and/or ferts?

I'm curious what this stuff is on the OUTside of the tank... where is it located? Could it be water running down from a power cord or something? What does it look like? Calcium buildup?

Back
Top Bottom