Algae Bloom?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rhino

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I think I may be going through an algae bloom. Can you all tell me what is going on? Water parameters are all normal. My tank is a 40 breeder. My lighting is a Current USA Nova Extreme 2x39 watt T5HO. My tank is planted and I only dose Seachem Fourish and Seachem Flourish Excel. Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Attachments

• IMG_0464.jpg
    IMG_0464.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0466.jpg
    IMG_0466.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 100
I am thinking now that it may just be a bacterial bloom. I tried doing a blackout for three days and adding a very large airstone for circulation, but there has been absolutely no change. Thoughts?

How long has the tank been set up? If it's been set up a while then you shouldn't be seeing a bloom like that unless you changed something in the tank recently (e.g. filter media)?

Did you add anything recently to the tank?

For now it looks like a bacterial bloom. Try doing some PWC and see if it helps. Have you been doing anything to your filters lately?

I traded out some exhausted filter floss but nothing unusual. I did however stir my sand bed because it had algae growing all over it.....bet that did it...how do I make it go away?

If it is sand that caused this, I suggest large PWCs as often as you can. Assuming it is the sand, as there could be different things causing this.

When you say you traded out exhausted filter floss...did you trade out your filter media?

Was the floss seeeded? How much did you trade out in comparison to the rest of your filter media?

If it was seeded, you could be going through a mini-cycle. They go away on their own, given time.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Was the floss seeeded? How much did you trade out in comparison to the rest of your filter media?

If it was seeded, you could be going through a mini-cycle. They go away on their own, given time.

I have a fluval 305 and only the top baskets have floss...no mini cycle 0 ammo and nitrites.. Nitrates are 10 ppm

Back
Top Bottom