Algae bloom repeating.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryanstobbs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I am looking for some help and advice. We have had our 260 litre tank set up for about 8 month we have 8 fish 2 snail and 2 shrimp in the tank. We have tested the water on a regular basis but in the last 3 to 4 month we have had 2 really bad case of algae bloom and it's happening again for the third time all help and advice welcomed because it just won't stopImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394722459.156074.jpg

Algae Problem

Hi I am looking for some help and advice. We have had our 260 litre tank set up for about 8 month we have 8 fish 2 snail and 2 shrimp in the tank. We have tested the water on a regular basis but in the last 3 to 4 month we have had 2 really bad case of algae bloom and it's happening again for the third time all help and advice welcomed because it just won't stopView attachment 227767

Hello Ryan...

I keep larger tanks too. From my observations, it takes several months, if not a couple of years for the tank chemistry to settle. I can tell you that I had algae problems until I reduced the flaked food I was feeding and added floating plants. Algae thrives in water with high phosphates from flaked food and a high nitrate level. Nitrates are used up by floating plants. Large, frequent water changes also help keep the tank water chemistry stable. Be patient, some algae is natural and good food for the fish.

B

Large, regular water changes. Reduce lighting. Those two are your main fighters, but it looks like green water algae. That requires a 3 day blackout I believe.

It means your light is too strong or your photoperiod is too long. Limit the light at 6 hrs/days max.

Do a 50% waterchange, close lights for 3-4 days, another 50%WC, light on for 6hrs/day.

If you have direct sunlight on the aquarium, then it could be the cause.

If you can't control thoses blooms at 6hrs/days, you should change lighting or invest in a UV sterilizer. New tanks are more prone to algae bloom.

Back
Top Bottom