Algae Blossom/ Remvoval and Containment Techniquies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Desacrator

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Alright so I have a 37 gal heavily planted tank with three angelfish, 2 guppies, and 4 cories. I just had a fat alague blossom all over the place. Its in my gravel. Other than scrubbing the sides of the walls what should I do in general and for the gravel. I considered getting a pleco but I don't want to buy algae tablets becasue the last pleco i had never ate them. jutst kinda watched them dissolve).

Any other suggestions for my tank are appreciated too. I think I am going all angelfish for this tank

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of algae is it? I'm guessing it's the hard green kind on the glass. I have that too, so I'm basically just wiping off the front until I can rack up enough money for nerite snails

Also, if your fertilizing, you might be adding too much phosphorus or some other nutrient, so there is an excess and/or a shortage, and the algae is taking advantage. You could also try increasing co2 if you have it.

Some clickies

Freshwater Algae Types: An Illustrated Guide - Article at The Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish
Algae control in the aquarium
Aquaticscape.com
Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association » Algae in the Planted Aquarium

brown algae means diatoms. Do you have play sand/pool filter sand? Diatoms are there when there's silica in the water, but oto's usually clean that up pretty quick.

Yep, otocinclus will eat diatoms, however, diatoms will disappear as quickly as they showed up.

Honestly I would wait it out. I did that with my tank, and I got a few "eww" and "yucks" over it, and then in a month, or month and a half, there wasn't a sign of diatoms.

Meanwhile, if you buy otocinclus, they will eat it all very quickly, and then you will need to feed them veggies, algae wafers, and alter your stocking...

Yep, otocinclus will eat diatoms, however, diatoms will disappear as quickly as they showed up.

Honestly I would wait it out. I did that with my tank, and I got a few "eww" and "yucks" over it, and then in a month, or month and a half, there wasn't a sign of diatoms.

Meanwhile, if you buy otocinclus, they will eat it all very quickly, and then you will need to feed them veggies, algae wafers, and alter your stocking...

well i only have 3 angelfish, a guppy, and 4 cory cats. so like 4 otos i dont think would be an issue. i dont think my store stocks them though. anyone know a website that does and can give me a link?

I think buying otocinclus to deal with diatoms is a bad idea. That food source will go away later.

+1 It is never a good idea to buy a fish for a problem. Solve the problem yourself and buy a fish because you want it, not because you need it.

Back
Top Bottom