algae breakout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

a7xdex

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a big algae Breakout on a section of the gravel of my tank. Not sure what kind it is but its white and has hair. It grew a stock as well. Ive never seen it before. Just would like to know how to get rid of it. My otos don't seem to be eating it.

Yeah, our otos don't eat the stringy white stuff either. Generally my bf picks it off by hand.

Have you tried cleaning it with a gravel vacuum?

Is the part where the stuff is growing is usually where you feed your fish? Do you feed your fish any sinking food?

Its on the complete opposite side as the side I feed them. Its not stringy. And it comes back if I vacuum it

This is what the algea looked like. I got rid of it finally but I would like to know what kind it is

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110518_061613.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110518_061613.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 133
  • ForumRunner_20110518_061635.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110518_061635.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 127
a7xdex said:
This is what the algea looked like. I got rid of it finally but I would like to know what kind it is

According to the link provided by Mr. Limpet the white stringy algae might be a staghorn algae. I also noticed that you also have diatoms in your tank. Check out the link above^^^ for causes and cure.

I got rid of all the algea. The tank looks good again. I found an algea killer that's safe for plants. This is what it looks like

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110518_084218.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110518_084218.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 105
The problem with using algaecides is they do not address the underlying cause of algae. In a lot of cases (not all), the algae returns in a matter of days if the cause is not found and dealt with.

I put my lights on timers for 10 hours a days and brought the co2 level up to 30ppm and everything seems to be good now no signs of anymore algae. The otos keep the blue green algea on the glass and gravel in check pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom