Algae cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobo8

Aquarium Advice Activist
Best way to get this off?
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G850W using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1448934663578.jpg
    1448934663578.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 83
Black beard algae? I use hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) from the chemist and squirt it in the tank. If you do a forum search, more details will pop up. If I get really frustrated with it then I'll bleach and wash several times.

Okay! Thank you!!

Sent from my SM-G850W using Aquarium Advice mobile app

With the H2O2 you should see the BBA start to fizz a little after squirting.

Over several days mine will then turn pinkish and get eaten or die off.

I'd just try a small section first. Never had troubles with fish but foxtail plant reacted badly to it one time.

Im interested in this. You just take a Walmart bottle of regular HP and put just squirt a bit in the tank? And it works as long as there isn't carbon filtration...? Overdoses possible?

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Im interested in this. You just take a Walmart bottle of regular HP and put just squirt a bit in the tank? And it works as long as there isn't carbon filtration...? Overdoses possible?

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Yes, it works well I've found. If you search by hydrogen peroxide and by posts made by Rivercats more details will pop up. The standard US bottle seems to be 3% whereas I've used 6% in Australia with no issues (apart from the odd plant not liking it). I believe inverts would be more sensitive to it.

Dose rate is 1 to 3 mls per gallon. I had a look and last time I used 100mls at 3% in a 150 gal tank and no issues. Just going around slowly and squirting the BBA. I usually do this half way through a water change before filling tank back up.

The HP only lasts a short time so the idea is to turn everything off, squirt, leave for 20 minutes with no tank flow and then turn filters back on. I've never had an ammonia spike (touch wood :) ). But I suggest do a small area to start with and working up.

I have read of one case where it was used to cure cotton-mouth infection.

Other people use glut in the same fashion. I find val and other plants need to be worked up to high glut doses for my tank so haven't really tried that.

Please take care. I made a horrible mistake in the middle of the night after work and nuked a tank. Lost all my otocinclus, eight dream blue velvet shrimp (only have one female left), one CPD and an ember tetra. Dilute first, then spot treat and discard the rest immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom