Algae Control In Brackish Tank? HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swelland

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Looking for some advice. I have a brackish tank (125 g) that I built 2 years ago. I hand laid individual pieces of slate (using aquarium silicone) to the entire back glass to create a 3D background. I really love the look but am having a problem with algae growth on the rock wall. I had a school of sailfin mollies that did a great job of keeping the algae to a minimum, until my black-tip sharks got big enough to eat even the full grown males. I finally got rid of the black-tips, but now the 3 target fish have started attacking and killing the mollies. So my question is what other algae eaters can I keep in a brackish tank (salinity .012)? I found a website where a guy listed several plecos that he kept in his brackish tank, but cannot find anything else that confirms that this is ok for the plecos. Would love to hear from anyone that has had success with any "larger" algae eaters in brackish.

Tankmates:
2- 10+inch silver scats, 4- mono arg, 2- mono sebae, 1- four eyes, 3- target fish, 2- figure eight puffers, 1- archer

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

I would probly go with common plecos they are very good at cleaning algae, but i notice they get really lazy with age, they get pretty large but may get picked on while small, but they clean up pretty good.
with your tank size you may want to get two or three I would anyway
we have two choc albino plecs in our 72 us gallon.

Well I have tried the standard brown pleco and they apparently cannot handle the .012 salinity. I tried to do a slow acclimation over 24 hours, but still lost them with 36 hours of introduction to the tank. Please if anyone else had suggestion let me here them.

If I am not mistaken, there are snails that are good for brackish settings and are great at devouring algae. also, there are some hermits that will live in brackish also..Just a thought, I will try to get you some links.

Back
Top Bottom