Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-28-2008, 07:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

algae controll in oscar tank

just wondering what i can keep in an oscar tank that they wont kill and will keep the algae down. have thought about gold mystery snails but not sure if oscar will eat them

Old 09-28-2008, 09:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

If there are no live plants then cut the lighting down.

Understanding the basics will let you make informed decisions on what advice to follow, and what advice is just plain hooey!
SpeedEuphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would agree a fish will not solve the problem. What kind oof algae is it? How long are the lights on? Any direct sunlight? How much do you feed and how often do you change water and clean filters?
Old 09-29-2008, 12:30 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Algae will grow when there is excess nutrients. Oscars are notoriously messy and sort of high maintenance. I would not add any fish; instead increase tank cleanings and maybe decrease feedings.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:23 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I kept a common pleco with my oscar just make sure you get one that is larger then your oscar's mouth. We rarely had algae growth on the tank with him in it.
RoseHippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

tank does get direct sunlight but do not really have another place for it....its just a common green algae i know a pleco will clean it but wasnt sure if they would scuffel....have a common pleco in a 20gal right now about move him to a 55gal i just set up and see if i can get a growth spurt out of him....as for feeding and cleaning i feed them several times a day lightly and change the water 20% every 6 days...im sure its the sunlight causeing the algae but blacking out the window is not really an option seeing how it is in my living room.....guess i will just continue with weekly scrub down untill pleco is large enough for me to feel comfortable introduceing him into the tank....thanks for the replys i love this forum
Old 09-30-2008, 01:38 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Any way to block the sun light from the tank? Maybe cut-to-size card board or 1/8th inch thick wood.

When I moved my tank away from the sun I have not had a speck of algae. Ever. I feed my fish generously and have moker filtration.

An AquaClear 110 moves 500 gallons an hour. I have one on my 40 and two on my 100. Because of the way I have the inlets plumbed I'm getting a true eight water turnovers per hour in the 40 and ten turnovers in the 100, I believe. I consider that the minimum required. 25% weekly water changes too (using PRIME or Stresscoat).
20 Gallon 4 Sculpin, 1 tiny Bluegill
Member of NANFA
Sombunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:20 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

i get light form 2 different windows and bloking them would greatly reduce light into my living room and also gets light from skylight....when the tank was a community tank i never had any algea in it with a pleco....i will increase my water changes will prob move them up to 30% considering it is an oscar and as earlier poster pointed out they are very messy fish

Tags
algae, oscar, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com