Algae covering plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

epjan7

Aquarium Advice Regular
This seems like a simple question but everywhere I look there are conflicting stories.
I have a 20G tank.
Nitrates 20
Ph 7.6

All of my plants and decorations (amazon sword, java fern, etc.)
Are covered in a green hair algae or something like that. They are completely covered and some leaves are turning transparent/brown.

I have 48w t5 and I dont know what the problem is. They are only on for 10hours or less a day.

I dose with excel about every other week if I remember. Should I be using co2 to make this go away. To make my plants use up more of the nutrients or something?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How long have the plants been established?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Algae Demons

The algae you are describing thrives in long continuous light periods, inconsistent carbon levels, and unbalanced nutrients.
Take your light period down to six hours a day. You need to dose the Excel daily. It will only last about 24 hours in your water column. It's best to dose it right before or when the lights come on every day. This will give your plants a constant level of carbon. Also the glut of the Excel is a mild algaecide. The next possible instigator is inconsistent or unbalanced fertilization. Plants need a balance of macro and micro fertilizers in the right proportions. There are many articles explaining this relationship. After you get the algae controlled and eliminated you could possibly increase your light period some but usually eight hours is the maximum before algae starts showing again. Hope this helps. Finding the balance for healthy plants with no algae is a battle every one of us aquarists fights. Good luck, OS.

Are you open top ? I had this issue when I was open top, as plants recieved more PAR.

For reducing algae, reduce light period, reduce overall ferts (nitrates/phosphates), try to keep a NO3:pO4 ratio of 10:1, dose carbon each days or two, make sure your water is clean by doing weekly water changes.

Hair algae are easy to remove with toothbrush. If they're hard to remove, then it's probably a form of BBA... In my case I spot threat BBA with seringe and peroxyde. Spot carbon dosing work well too.

Sorry I meant to say Flourish. I always forget to add excel daily

My tank is an open top, I had a glass top but it quickly became covered in white. Should I try to clean the glass and put that back on? And is a DIY co2 better than dosing with excel since I always forget?
Plants have been In there 4 months. And also, what test kits and macro/micros do you recommend to buy?

CO2 in the form of gaz is better than Excel. Excel is great for killing algae.

I personally go with 10 pounds cylinder pressurized system. What's your tank size and your light power (and kind of like T5, T8, T12, T5HO??)

20g and t5ho

Im pretty sure its 36w. Its the ones that came with it. One is pink. The other is just normal idk what temperature

Back
Top Bottom