algae crew for planted tank (bumped with pics!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shayfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What are some good fish for algae control in a planted tank? Someone at a lfs told me this week that pretty much all plecos will eat my plants... but I didn't think that was right. Is it? She suggested a farlowella, telling me that they were easy and hardy, which after doing some reading doesn't seem to be the case either. So I'm not entirely sure if she knew her a** from her elbow.

My tank is new (freshly cycled) and the algae is already starting to show up big time. I have reduced my light to 10 hours a day and am ready to invest in a clean up crew.

No, plecos don't eat plants, lol. They clean them off. The best I've seen are BN Plecos. They do very good, and don't get big. Also, Otos are great as well.

I agree, not all plecos eat plants. I think Common plecs might munch on the plants a bit, but there are others that won't. Bristlenose plecos are great for eating algae. They do need some driftwood in the tank and supplements of algae wafers. And they will probably hide alot (mine does!).

Otos would be great if you have green or brown algae. They need stable water parameters though.

I have heard that Farlowella's are sensitive, not hardy. Its up to you, what to get. I'd definitely get the advice of people who have kept these guys though. I haven't heard that they were hardy.

Actually, my large 9+ inch pleco only cleans the plants. He has not eaten any plants yet in my tank. But he does love uprooting plants, lol. But doesn't eat them.

In my 125gal, my algae crew consists of: 8 otocinclus, 1 male florida flag fish, 1 farlowella, 5 true siamese algae easters, and 1 rubber-lipped pleco.

The flag fish and farlowella were both bought because I was told the keep brush and hair algae under control, before I was able to locate SAE. I don't know if this is true or not, since I've seen neither in my tank. I've had the farlowella about 5 months, with no issues. Not an active fish, but definately cool looking. I got the pleco because I liked him and he's not supposed to get very big (4-5inches). I blame most of the algae control on the otocinclus and SAE. The only algae that I've seen is green-spot on the glass that I'd have to clean off weekly. Since getting CO2 levels up and controlled, I'm not seeing any new production of that either.

My roommate's low-tech, planted 10gal only has oto's and SAE, and all I've seen is occasional green-spot algae.

I had a chinese algae eater in there, until about a week ago. I (somehow) managed to catch it while I was cleaning up the tank. He has since been moved into another tank.

Edit:
Lonewolfblue said:
Actually, my large 9+ inch pleco only cleans the plants. He has not eaten any plants yet in my tank. But he does love uprooting plants, lol. But doesn't eat them.

That's why I chose a smaller pleco.

I will tell you honestly that the single best hair algae cleaners I personally have ever had were mollies. They eat it like crazy.

Thanks for the info! I was pretty sure that I would have known by now if my plants were at risk with a pleco! I will probably get a nice BN. I have a big chunk of bogwood in my tank that also provides a nice hiding spot. How big should I expect it to get? Right now I only have small fish (danios and rummynose tetras), so I'm a little worried about putting in some great big fish. And my tank is 55 gal, and I hate the idea of getting a fish that might outgrow my tank and I would have to part with it.

I like the size and look of otos but I haven't seen any at my lfs.

AND... I was thinking about a couple of dalmation mollies. What size of group should they be kept in (I only really want 2ish)

If you only want 2, get either two males or two females, unless you plan to use fry as feeders.

Ha, you guys are awesome! All the anwers I need in a matter of minutes. How great is this forum?!

Oh yeah... and I have one lone amano shrimp now. Is it going to be at risk with any of this?

Like LWB Bristlenose plec's get approx. 4 inches....mine is about 4.5, pushing 5, but I don't think he'll grow anymore. There are all different types of BNs, so some stay on the smaller side and some get a tad bigger....I've never heard of them exceeding 6 inches though...and a 6 incher would be rare IMO.

Mine stays hid most of the time, but if I sneak up on the tank, I can see him and get an idea of how big he is now. :D

My BN's are out all the time. And they rarely scurry away when I walk up to the tank. They are about 4 inches each, a male and a female.

Check it out! You can see my obese Danio in the background.
img_715551_0_5ea93cfb02a28aa49bd17e57df59ba26.jpg

Hopefully I canget a better shot when he's acclimated.

But I think its part Hoover.

img_715551_1_9b48a551d5d348d2e7b59d1b0dce1d9b.jpg

JustOneMore20 said:
I have heard that Farlowella's are sensitive, not hardy.

i heard the same thing after i got my farlowella's, and i was thinking i'd have this really fragile fish, but farlowella's arent too fragile, mine are fine.

Back
Top Bottom