Algae crew in a 29 gal goldie tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FMJnaX

Aquarium Advice FINatic
We all know the typical algae crews (some/most plecos, some shrimp, oto's, some snails, etc), but what I personally don't know is what crew I should hire for my tank. I have a 29 gal goldie tank (see signature). I'm filtering at about 10x and it is a medium planted tank. I currently don't have a problem with algae (I suppose my clown pleco handles some of it), but I know I will here in the near future, after our move. I'm moving from DIY CO2 to Pressurized and will go with a few more plants. Hopefully I've done my research enough to not get an algae bloom, but who knows. In the case that I do get one, what kind of crew can I go with in my tank. Water temp is at about 76-78F so it's not a true cold water, nor is a true tropical. suggestions?

I just wanted to warn you about "plecos sucking on the slime coats of goldfish" are actually true, at least for me. Initially they were all nice to each other then I noticed my slower ryunkin (I think he was a ryunkin) was developing fin rot and I had no idea what from. Then one day I noticed my sailfin sucking and gripping tightly on him and wouldn't let go no matter how hard my goldie tried to free himself from the sailfin.

Although some people have mentioned good compatability between the 2, I just wanted to give my word of warning, since in the beginning they were going along fine too, then that happened.

Also, rumour has it that goldfish will attempt to eat oto's if they are larger enough and oto's small enough, which has led to oto's being stuck inside the goldfish's mouth resulting in the death of both parties. I have no emperical evidence of this but just mentioning this rumour since I encountered it when I was researching for an algae crew.

FYI, the algae crew in my goldfish tank is me :roll:

Thanks for the info on the oto's and pleco's. I've also heard that with plecos, though typically with the larger variety. My clown will max out at no more than 5" and is currently only about 2 or 3". The only aggressive behaviour noted is when the goldies try to steal the algae wafer from the clown.

the algae crew for a goldie tank would be bristlenose or hillstream loaches.

that's about it.

lol, I remember when my goldies would steal the pleco's algae wafer. hmm... maybe that's why my pleco was agressive (larger variety + goldies stealing his food, lol). Though when they were together he was no more than 2".

Bubble_B0y: I noticed that you're in Sydney. Do you know any fish stores that actually stock (or even know) what a hillsteam loach is cause when I was asking around I hit a blank.

I also can vouch for the pleco sucking goldies scales.
My goldie (the one in my avatar) had swim bladder.. and he became pretty listless and my pleco sucked off all his scales/fins on one side... after much care my goldie died 5 days later in a QT tank. *sniffles*

Maybe you can up the temperature a little bit and get a smaller variety pleco and keep an eye on him.

Back
Top Bottom