Algae eater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tategrant

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had my 10g tank for almost a year now and I noticed some algae on my glass. What algae eater would be recommended for me?

I would say nerite snails as well hard little worker's and can't reproduce in freshwater.

nope ur all wrong they get lazy after a while and itz hard for them to eat the hard algae the nest one is the flying fox as many call it in the pet store or the siamese algae eater

nope ur all wrong they get lazy after a while and itz hard for them to eat the hard algae the nest one is the flying fox as many call it in the pet store or the siamese algae eater

Siamese algae eater is the best algae eaters out there, even better than the flying fox that people normally can't differentiate between the two. BUT, SAE needs more than 10gal and gets territorial as they age.

Ottos NEVER get lazy! :blink:

As for the flying fox- they don't eat algae. I don't know why they are so often confused with SAE, as they look very different (barbels, colouring etc) :confused:

My SAE were great with algae on plants when they were first introduced to my tanks, and they are certainly not lazy- but they are greedy and clever! They out compete their tank-mates, gorging on the food that is meant for the other fish, and have grown quite plump. I still have algae on my plants, and I have never yet seen them eat algae from the glass. I love them regardless!
My juvenile bristlenose do a pretty good job with the glass, but they cannot scrape off the green spot algae. I just use a razor blade- it comes off in a jiffy.

I have had all the types of the years and honestly nothing beats Otos!!!' I would put 2 max in the 10g and maybe a nerite snail

I have had all the types of the years and honestly nothing beats Otos!!!' I would put 2 max in the 10g and maybe a nerite snail

I just picked up a Chinese algae eater and I'm acclimating it in my tank now!

I just picked up a Chinese algae eater and I'm acclimating it in my tank now!

chinese algae eater is going to have problem with eating algae later on. they would actually compete for normal food before they eat algae. also, as they age they become increasingly lazy and aggressive

+1, same here. i have only otos in my tank for algae cleaning. i don't even feed them because they will go after the algae on the glass.

Back
Top Bottom