Algae eater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
With that blue gravel it's very hard to see what type algae you have. If the tank is newly set up and if when you rub on the algae it just comes right off then it is indeed diatoms. Diatoms are self limiting and use the excess silicates in the water. Once the silicates are used up the diatoms will go away on their own. If you have a fish only tank you can use a Phosphate remover such as PhosGuard in your filter as it will also remove silicates from the water. After about 3-4 weeks you won't need it. If you have live plants in the tank I don't not advise using a phosphate remover. Then only run lights 6 hours as I've found that keeps diatom growth down. Lastly Nerite Snails are one of the best diatom eaters around. They can't reproduce in freshwater and are good at keeping low levels of diatoms cleaned up.

I am pretty sure it is diatoms (it rubs off) my tank is only 3 months old. I do have a live plant, So I will keep an eye on it and probably get some of those snails. Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom