Algae eater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Metatron

Aquarium Advice Regular
What would be the best option for an algae eater for a slightly understocked 54 gallon? I don't have a huge algae issue, just a bit. Substrate is gravel...TIA

Both should be fine. You do need to keep an eye on plecos if you have flat-bodied fish, some will eat the slime coat. But it really seems to be an individual pleco thing. A small school of otocinclus can also work, but I've found that they're pure vegetarians and I don't seem to grow enough algae for them, and they don't always want zucchini. Plecos will eat algae wafers and other sinking pellets and LOVE zucchini and cucumber.

What would be the best option for an algae eater for a slightly understocked 54 gallon? I don't have a huge algae issue, just a bit. Substrate is gravel...TIA

Look into Panda Garra loaches--they are nice algae eaters (make sure your tank water is well oxygenated). Plecos produce a ton of waste, and most of them don't eat much algae anyway. A Bristlenose Pleco would be okay though. As mentioned earlier, Oto Catfish would be a nice option, but they aren't that hardy. Oto Cats definitely need to be in a planted tank. Nerite Snails would be a low bioload option.

What algae issue do you have? Do you have plants?

I have kept Gold Nugget, Royal, Sailfin, Clown and common Plecos but the best algae eater I've ever had is my Bristlenose. It would only take one of them for your tank.

What else do you have in the tank?

Bristlenose are good but I find that Farlowella species are the best and most consistent algae eaters.

I have some tetras...glow light, red eye and minor , Danios, minnows, cory cats, pearl and a dwarf gourami....I only have one real plant, not very big. I don't have a huge algae issue but it is fairly constant as it is a corner tank and one side has a window about a foot away and does get a bit of direct sunlight during the day. I do try to close that curtain during peak hours but don't always. Water parameters are great, it is well established.

Back
Top Bottom