Algae eater compatibility...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tigerlily

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone! I have been increasing the light and nutrients in my tank to help my plants grow, and this has had the predictable side effect of helping my algae grow too. Not a huge problem, but it would be cool to have an organism that would take care of it. I have 10 tiger barbs (3 still in QT), 3 white clouds and a rainbow shark in a 29 gal. I want something to help with the algae without increasing my bioload by much. Here are my thoughts...

I found a candy-striped pleco, that stays pretty small (4") but I read on planetcatfish.com that they aren't the greatest algae eaters. Someone on this site told me that the tiger barbs would pester snails to death - but what about common pond snails? My local PetSmart is having a "snail problem" and I could probably get some for free. They're little and reproduce fast - they could be tiger food and eat algae (if they eat algae?) What about cherry shrimp or amano shrimp? The shark is little now, but would they become food for him later? Would the barbs pick on them? Some of the algae is on plant leaves so the shrimp would be perfect for taking care of that...

Any suggestions are welcome! :D

I have found that plecos are the best algea eaters. I have a 55 gallon and 1 pleco(who has grown quite large) and have never, ever had to scrub away algae. Make sure that you aren't leaving on your lights and that you have hiding places for the pleco. If you leave the lights on all the time, the pleco will come out less often because they hide from the light. Otocinculus Catfish, also, stay small but eat a crapload of algae. As for the snails...the tiger barbs, from my experience, will eat the smaller snails and I don't know much about them but they reproduce VERY, VERY quickly. I work at WalMArt pet department and we have so many that they get clogged in the filters sometimes :( but... Thats about all I can tell ya, good luck :D

My tiger barbs don't bother snails, but snails are really not the most efficient algae eaters, and I have tons of snails. My otocinclus is murder on brown diatom algae, but does not touch the green stuff.

I think a bristlenose pleco, rubberlip or clown pleco would be your best bet, and they do not eat plants. Many snails do eat plants and many plecos eat plants as well, so you have to watch that. Another consideration is to add CO2 as this will help the plants gather nutrients from the water and starve out the algae. Also, fast growing plants like hygro will outcompete the algae for nutrients, and increasing water changes could do the trick as well, along with limiting the time the lights are on.

Many people swear by true Siamese Algae Eaters, but you need to be sure that is what you are getting, as they are often mislabeled at the LFS, and the imposters can get large and aggressive, and not eat very much algae.

Amano shrimp are absolutely righteous against hair algae - it is a wonder to behold! However, many fish consider these food and they are expensive, so it is a risk. I have tiger barbs who leave shrimp alone, but it does not make any sense that the shrimp should still be alive with them!

How's that for 'too much information'?! When it starts to get late I tend to have diarrhea of the fingertips.... :roll:

Well I'm no expert but I recently got some otos to help with my brown algae problem...they cleared the tank (substrate AND glass AND plants AND rocks!) overnight, their first night! I couldn't believe my eyes. Now I'm trying to get them to go for the Hikari Algae Wafers because there isn't any other algae in there for them to eat, so far. They are small, too--will max at about 2".

Thanks for the input! There is no such thing as too much information!

I am actually taking a trip to the LFS tomorrow to look at CO2 systems. I was planning on the little Hagan unit with the bubble ladder to get my feet wet... with the lighting I hope to get for Christmas, I should start seeing my plants fill-in a little more - I hope!

I recently bought some plants on line, and they had hair algae on them, which I didn't notice right away. That's why I was thinking about the amano... I am worried about my band of holy terrors ganging up on them though. Maybe I'll try the Rubberlipped pleco. If the algae goes away with the addition of CO2, I could always feed it wafers, spinach and zucchini. :mrgreen: Thanks guys!

For a 29g, either a school (3-5) of otocinclus, or a bristlenose, rubberlip or clown plec as already recommended are your best bet. Snails won't clear the tank walls well, and while you could get algae eating shrimp, they too won't clear the walls. Plus, the snails will very quickly take over your tank, and then not only won't you be able to see the fish cause of the algae, you won't be able to see em thru the snails either LOL

I bought a tiny little young clown pleco to clean up the algae that had developed in my 12 gallon tank. There was quite a bit built up on the tank ornaments. Within a couple of days, everything was SPOTLESS.

That little guy eats like a champ! At this rate, he will outgrow my 12 gallon tank in record time (which is fine, because I have a 29 and a 30 gallon tank to move him into).

Good thing there are so many knowledgeable ppl on the site!

Well, plecos do often work well. I've had less good results with them recently--sometimes they can be really really lazy. My rec is for the Otos (Otocinclus Catfish) that Tankgirl recommended. Mine are really effective (though they are quite "productive" too, if you know what I mean). Most algae in that tank is gone.

AlliV also makes a good point: shrimp don't get the algae off the walls of the tank. Though the walls are the easiest to clean, I'd still prefer a fish like an oto that'll clear algae no matter where it is!

I have heard that otos don't acclimate well. Also, if they need a mature tank with some algae to be happy, and I stick them in a quarantine tank with no algae for 2-3 weeks... are they going to make it? I guess I'm a little scared to get them.

What is everybody's experience with introducing and acclimating otos?

Thanks! :mrgreen:

i had some...died in 2 weeks, never bothered witht hem agian...though i should(hmmmmmmm)

dispite what everyone else has said i have had great luck with snails in my tank. i have 2 large snails that clean just about everything. they oftenly can be seen climbing up the side of my tank and around the sides. i have found though that the best answer is in multiple soulutions.

my clean-up crew consits of 1 CEA (one larger one got moved to my fiddler carb tank) 2 large snails and a blue lobster. the lobster lives in a hole in my driftwood and comes out after the lights go out but i turn them off from time to time and watch him cleaning my gravel and digging up any food particles that he can get. i have noticed him snap at my barbs before but for the most part the aer a bit above him and they are faster then him anyway. have had them togeather for almost 2 months and haven't seen any marks or sores on the fish nor have i "lost" one yet.

Bought 6 Otos, dunked in the water, they got busy the same day, never had a problem. I heard they should never go to QT. Risk you take. For 55 gal 6 seems to be adequate. I am about to buy 4 more for my 29 gal, tomorrow. Best algae eaters I have ever seen, for the size of the fish. :D

They shouldn't go in the QT? 8O That makes me even more nervous to get them. Hmmmm...... I don't trust my LFS that much!

Back
Top Bottom