Algae eater for 10g tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NadiaG

Aquarium Advice Activist
Was wondering if I could add any kind of algae eater in my tank... Prefer not to have snails tho. Any shrimp or oto cat? If oto, I know they like to be in groups and I can't accommodate more than one... Would 1 oto do good alone? My fish are very friendly, skirt tetras and one sa bumblebee catfish.

Any suggestions?

Red Cherry Shrimp are good I hear. That is what I will be putting in my 10g.

Will RCS eat algae and will it be fine if I get only one?

As for otos, my tank is pretty established. I have 1 live plant in it right now and in the process of adding more soon.

So are RCS algae eaters or bottom feeders? And how will it do being one of its kind in the tank? Ty

What type algae do you have? Can you post a picture? Different algae eaters have specific algae they eat so depending on what's in your tank will determine which one you need.

Also if your having an algae issue you should find and correct the problem and not try using algae eaters to clear it up. How long are you running lights daily?

I have another tread going about that algae, it's brown spots on anubias. People are saying its diatoms.. I also have some green on rocks but that is under control and not excessive at all.
I have 14w full spec fluorescent and a 15w color enhancing incan running for 6 hours a day. Then blue LED kicks in till the rest of the day.

Here it is

Attachments

• image-2324944479.jpg
    image-2324944479.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 73
  • image-1108518064.jpg
    image-1108518064.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 75
That is diatoms which are self limiting and once excess silicates are used up the diatoms will die out. Actually nerite snails are a good choice for this as they can't breed in freshwater and really keep diatoms cleaned up. I assume your tank is fairly new? Oto's shouldn't be added to new tanks as they are delicate and do better in mature tanks.

Yes it's 4 months old. So amano shrimp won't do too good then? I'll do a research on these snails since they don't breed which is a huge plus

Some say Amano shrimp pick at them and some say they won't so who knows for use. I keep Nerite snails in all my tanks.

+1 for shrimp. they eat anything that hits the bottom generally lol. But don't rely on algae to feed them. They need food as well, not just Algae. I have sinking shrimp pellets for my three Ameno Shrimp.

So I got myself a zebra nerite snail, Roger! He is so cute! And loves my tank with yummy algae!
Here is a few pics of him, under black light. These were taken with intervals of 30min and you can see how much he ate. Awesome!!!

Attachments

• image-924299919.jpg
    image-924299919.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 63
  • image-3505128602.jpg
    image-3505128602.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 71
  • image-3441233311.jpg
    image-3441233311.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 65
Back
Top Bottom