Algae eater for 20 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mommacoke

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 20 gallon tank with s small convict fish. I bought a huge tank as my project tank and there was a convict in it with no filter system and it was only a few inches deep. I had to save the little fella so I put him in my 20 gallon. It was cycled and ready. I just live a long way from a pet store and was waiting. Anyhow, the tank has algae growing. I tried putting a snail in to help (on the advice from the owner of the pet store) and he ate it rather quickly. I feel so bad for the poor guy but didn't even know until I looked and there was an empty shell in a short time. I am worried about putting anything in with him. What can survive in a tank with this guy?

Otocinclus are a great one for small tanks. They only get around 1.5-2" long. Like to be in a small group. 3-4 of them. They do a great job.

I have a 20 gallon tank with s small convict fish. I bought a huge tank as my project tank and there was a convict in it with no filter system and it was only a few inches deep. I had to save the little fella so I put him in my 20 gallon. It was cycled and ready. I just live a long way from a pet store and was waiting. Anyhow, the tank has algae growing. I tried putting a snail in to help (on the advice from the owner of the pet store) and he ate it rather quickly. I feel so bad for the poor guy but didn't even know until I looked and there was an empty shell in a short time. I am worried about putting anything in with him. What can survive in a tank with this guy?

Get a bristlenose or 2....They are not shy and fun to watch as they are very active pretty much all day. Avid algae eaters. You might want to put some small pieces of driftwood in there 1) the bristlenose love to rasp on it as it is actually something good for their digestion...2) it will make your tank look more natural and make your fish feel more secure. I have a 55 gal with 2 longfinned bristles and my back wall is pretty green in spots because I keep it for a grazing ground. Supplement them with a algae tablet or 2 as well.

Have you ruled out other reasons for the excessive algae growth? BNs are fun to watch and one of the more active algae eaters. Convicts often don't play nice with other tankmates. It may harass the bn or otos to no end, but maybe not.
Plants, dw, rock work or anything to break up line of site will help. A school of fish above may be a good distraction as well

Otocinclus are a great one for small tanks. They only get around 1.5-2" long. Like to be in a small group. 3-4 of them. They do a great job.
Well otocinclus are great algae eaters, but there only wild caught so a lot of them have problems and could die on you.

Well otocinclus are great algae eaters, but there only wild caught so a lot of them have problems and could die on you.

SOOO true....I buy ( bought ) them in schools like your supposed to and the do die off. I have TWO that are left and they are thriving....so NO more...haha. I still recommend a bristlenose or two. By far the best and hardiest of the green invasion eaters. (y)

Back
Top Bottom